Help! My cable internet is dead!

Fully [H]
Okay. This is bar none one of the weirdest problems I've ever had.

My internet connection is super flaky now for no reason. The problem started a week ago.

I have a Netgear WGR614 v6 and a Linksys WRT54g v5 to test around with for troubleshooting.

Now the internet works with direct connect perfectly but when any router is hooked up nothing works. Everything was working perfectly before then last week it just stopped working. Many phone calls and a visit from Time Warner and a modem replacement was useless.

I'm really frustrated because it doesn't seem to be a complete router problem either, I mean it works with my friends connections.

After the modem replacement I can't even use 192.168.1.1 to get to my routers because I think the new modem has that as its IP. I really need this working because I can't function without multiple connections to the internet (VOIP+3 computers for the home office).

Any help or suggestions would really be appreciated.

Try setting the mac address on the router to the mac address of the pc. I had to do this when my router stopped working after a very long time of working fine. I don't know what comcast did but it didn't like my router's mac but worked with all my pcs. Also try resetting to default settings on your routers.

Make sure WAN interface of router is set to "Obtain Auto"
When changing devices on your Comcast modem...the modem "remembers" the MAC of the last successfully connected device...powering off the modem for several minutes allows it to "forget" the MAC of the prior device, and it will "memorize" the MAC of the new device.

So power off modem for several minutes. If you have Comcasts VoIP package..and one of their Arris MTA modems...you must also pull the battery out on the bottom side (note..no phone service now until battery is back in)

Plug new router into modem...power up router...allow to boot up, power up modem..allow to synch up for a minute...power cycle router again so it lets go of the 192.168.100.xxx address it got initially from the modem before the modem synched up, and now it will pickup a public IP address and proper DNS info. Reboot or release/renew PCs so they get the new DNS info.

BAM...online.

The bandaid fix of MAC cloning isn't needed with Comcast..simply power cycle the modems and set them up properly in the first place. I've chanced devices sometimes several times in the same day...and at clients, just by power cycling the modem.

The bandaid fix of MAC cloning isn't needed with Comcast..simply power cycle the modems and set them up properly in the first place. I've chanced devices sometimes several times in the same day...and at clients, just by power cycling the modem.

I was under the assumption he reset the modem when he swapped them I guess I lose at that. But sometimes comcast does some funky stuff, it wouldn't take the mac from my router for 2 weeks then they did maintenance and it worked afterwards.

I was under the assumption he reset the modem when he swapped them I guess I lose at that. But sometimes comcast does some funky stuff, it wouldn't take the mac from my router for 2 weeks then they did maintenance and it worked afterwards.

Dunno what was up in your situation...Comcast does not hold MAC addresses upstream on some authentication server for home user clients and dynamic accounts, it's only the modem that keeps it...quickly reset by powering it off for several minutes.

They only use MACs for their static IP business grade accounts....when you get the SMC Business Gateway...the first IP in the IP block you're given goes to the SMC's WAN interface on its NAT. The other IPs in the block you assign statically to your own router.

Dunno what was up in your situation...Comcast does not hold MAC addresses upstream on some authentication server for home user clients and dynamic accounts, it's only the modem that keeps it...quickly reset by powering it off for several minutes.

They only use MACs for their static IP business grade accounts....when you get the SMC Business Gateway...the first IP in the IP block you're given goes to the SMC's WAN interface on its NAT. The other IPs in the block you assign statically to your own router.

I think it was that my router was running dd-wrt which gives it some generic mac assigned by dd-wrt, so maybe they didn't think my router was real? lol Don't know.

Weird. I called Time Warner again and apparently they had set it so my connection would only get 1 IP. I had to request a multiple IP pack from them.

Back