Help me troubleshoot lag please

PeteC

n00b
Staring a few days, online games became choppy. I play Tekken 7 mostly right now and it often gets choppy for a few seconds. I'm not sure where the problem is. I pinged my router and it mostly returns <1ms but it spikes to >100ms sometimes. That is not normal right?

Last edited:
Staring a few days, online games became choppy. I play Tekken 7 mostly right now and it often gets choppy for a few seconds. I'm not sure where the problem is. I pinged my router and it would mostly returns <1ms but it spike to >100ms sometimes. That is not normal right?

Wired or wireless?

Try a "pathping to 4.2.2.2". That will give you results for where the high response times are within the route to the end hosts.

Also try updating the drivers on your wireless adapter. And also try using a wired connection to see if it behaves the same way.

Tried different channels; got worse on other channels.
Tried "pathping to 4.2.2.2" whatever it is, it's just giving me error message

I remembered i have a powerline adapter so I tried that and now online is lag free, but powerline only gives me 25mbps. I have 85mbps connection.
Oh well, i guess i'll just use powerline for now.

It's probably the wireless router that's the problem right? It's a FIOS Quantum Gateway router. I heard it's a crappy router after i paid 200 for it.

Tried different channels; got worse on other channels.
Tried "pathping to 4.2.2.2" whatever it is, it's just giving me error message

I remembered i have a powerline adapter so I tried that and now online is lag free, but powerline only gives me 25mbps. I have 85mbps connection.
Oh well, i guess i'll just use powerline for now.

It's probably the wireless router that's the problem right? It's a FIOS Quantum Gateway router. I heard it's a crappy router after i paid 200 for it.

Sounds like the PowerLine adapter may be the problem.

They have faster / better adapters now.

Is it not possible to run a Cat 5e line?

You could try a better router overall. Those routers are pretty shitty. Maybe the Google Home mesh would work well for you?

Back