help me remove a mobile ati VPU- flexfit

higney85

n00b
I have a video card question that has me stumped. I have an ATI 9000 64mb in my dell notebook. The card DOES have flexfit- dell could at least tell me that- the problem is that this is the best card they make and will not make a better one. I am thinking about swapping out VPU's from another ATI card with mine. I can afford to mess this up because I have a 100% working ATI 9000 32mb for a "spare part". From everything I have read the mobile ATI VPU's have onboard memory and both my 32mb and 64mb boards look EXACTLY the same. I am looking for a 9600 (i dont need a 9700 and the cost would be higher than I would wanna deal with). How can I remove a VPU? Could I swap the 9000 VPU for a 9600? My last question is cooling... There is only passive cooling on the 9000 and from what I have seen the 9600 uses passive cooling in other dell models so I dont FORSEE an issue as far as heat but maybe someone can shed some light. I AM NUTS but if there is a chance that it would work I am all for it. Someone even told me that the mobile VPU and the desktop versions were the same... just that the desktop was clocked higher and had a heatsink/fan. I am open to all suggestions.

WHAT THE FUCK?! You want to remove the processing chip from your onboard Dell notebook computer? Don't do it. You'll end up with a dead notebook and a ruined radeon 9xxx card.

No possible way. Completely different pcbs, completely different architects etc.

DONT DO IT!

What notebook?

I didn't think Dell used flexfit...
although the daughter cards are removeable in most current models...

so there is no way to get a descent video card? Dell makes me really mad- You can buy a laptop w/ a 3.2GHZ P4 HT but you get terrible graphics.... Anybody have any ideas? From what I was getting from Dell the board and the VPU will work with flexfit- its a pin thing?- and I would need to find a way to get a different VPU and could do it myself. I was thinking to just swap the VPU- even if I do not get more memory at least the video card would work much better? Am I wrong there too? I am desperate for DESCENT video!

*the video card is a seperate card- this is not onboard the motherboard. I have a seperate card just like the desktops, I just took the heatsink off the spare and the memory is not set up like a desktop model.... leading me to think that swapping the VPU could allow for the old card (in the correct form to fit the laptop) could have a new VPU allow for OK graphics.....*
*inspiron 5150.... http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/ins5100/en/sm/palmrest.htm#1105456 *

Back