Help me list the different Windows XP versions.

jamesrb

[H]ard|Gawd
OK, I am trying to make a complete list of Windows XP versions. Here is what I have so far

Retail -
Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Home

Upgrade -
Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Home

OEM -
Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Professional x64
Windows XP Home
Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005

Volume Licensing -
Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Professional x64
Windows XP Tablet PC Edition

Please help me fill in any versions I have missed.

I have a couple questions too:
1. It is my understanding that the product keys from the Retail and Upgrade versions are interchangeable (i.e. you can use an Upgrade key on a Retail disc). Can anybody confirm this suspicion? Also, would it technically be legal to use the Upgrade key on a retail disc?

2. If you get a pre-built system or laptop (aka Dell, HP, IBM, Toshiba, etc) that comes with one of those OEM stickers on it with windows preinstalled, will those keys work with a generic Windows XP OEM disc on the same system or are you limited to using the bloated restore discs that the systems ship with? Also, would such a use be legal?

jamesrb said:
I have a couple questions too:
1. It is my understanding that the product keys from the Retail and Upgrade versions are interchangeable (i.e. you can use an Upgrade key on a Retail disc). Can anybody confirm this suspicion? Also, would it technically be legal to use the Upgrade key on a retail disc?

2. If you get a pre-built system or laptop (aka Dell, HP, IBM, Toshiba, etc) that comes with one of those OEM stickers on it with windows preinstalled, will those keys work with a generic Windows XP OEM disc on the same system or are you limited to using the bloated restore discs that the systems ship with? Also, would such a use be legal?

1. AFAIK keys are not interchangeable
2. Although you can enter the Vendor's OEM keycode with a generic disc, you will be required to call Microsoft by phone for activation and could be subject to questioning since vendors typically provide discs or images that do not require activation.

Somewhere, once upon a time, I read a discussion of what the WinNT keys (2k, XP) were. If memory serves me correctly, the key is some strange version base-23. 1 bit in the binary representation determined whether it was an upgrade key, another couple of bytes deteremined if it was a OEM, Retail, or Volume key, and the rest was unknown magical-microsoft-crap.

So the key knows whether it is an OEM, Retail, or Volume key and whether it will work with upgrades or not. Also, there file(s) in the i386 directory on the install CD that also determine what type of install disk it is.

Back