• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help me build a new intel based computer.

B

bostesseger69

Guest
My current specs are in my Sig. I would like to keep the price preferably under the $2k range.

I want a rig built around gaming, but that is also fast for other things (surfing the web, movies, etc.). I would like whatever case you pick out to have room for all 4 of my storage HDD's (although I may be selling the 2 750's and getting another 2tb), two video cards...I'm thinking Nvidia for these maybe?, a SSD maybe if they are worth it, 2 cdrom/dvd/bluray drives....is there really any need for two of these anymore with the new combo drives that have everything? I also want it to have good airflow and if possible a special compartment or area for my H50....or whatever is better at this time for oc'ing.....also, I do plan to OC obviously, so whatever video cards, ram, and processor you pick out, keep that in mind. Let me know of anything else interesting or cool that I am missing. Thanks for all the help ahead of time everyone. :D
 
Are you finding yourself limited with what you have now? You aren't going to be able to do a lot better than a 920 @3.74 (can you overclock that farther - into the 4.0 range?). A video card upgrade and an SSD would both be beneficial, the SSD more so since the 5870 is not a bad card. Maybe just go with two 6950s in Crossfire?
 
Na, it seems to be stuck at this clock. Yeah, I will possibly just get a SSD for windows and the games for now. Should I get more ram or anything though? Also....should I stick with my 5870, or am I really going to notice a huge difference if I do upgrade?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ummm... yeah... are you feeling limited by your current setup?

More ram isn't going to help unless you are actually doing something that will take advantage of more ram (gaming isn't one of those things). There are better video cards out there, but you might just want to get another 5870 and go crossfire (Newegg has a xfx 5870 for $190 after a $30 MIR).

Basically, a good SSD is probably going to help you more than a new cpu I would think.

Honestly, we would need to know more about what you plan on doing, or more specifically what games are you trying to play but not having a good experience with?

Edit: Here is the link to that xfx 5870: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150476&Tpk=xfx 5870
 
Where is the best place to grab a SSD with the best prices? I'm thinking I want to get at least a 150-250gb one as well.
 
Does the board that you are using have support for SATA 3? If it does take a look at the new Intel® Solid-State Drive 510. It comes in 120GB or 250GB and is a very nice drive. Otherwise take a look at the Intel Solid-State Drive X25-M 120GB or 160GB. Moving up to a SSD will give you some major improvement to overall system proformance.
 
Does the board that you are using have support for SATA 3? If it does take a look at the new Intel® Solid-State Drive 510. It comes in 120GB or 250GB and is a very nice drive. Otherwise take a look at the Intel Solid-State Drive X25-M 120GB or 160GB. Moving up to a SSD will give you some major improvement to overall system proformance.

It doesn't unfortunately.
 
Welp, alrighty. I'll just stick with this, and continue reading the H often and upgrade when the next must have thing comes out.
 
Yeah, it will probably be a little while before there is a must have upgrade (unless of course you feel the need to be on the cutting edge, in which case you should go get an intel 6 core cpu and the new radeon 6990).

For the moment you should just find a good SSD. In regards to prices.... it might be best to take a look at SSD reviews and then look for the best price. Watch the [H]otDeals subforum, there seem to be SSD deals pretty regularly there. Assuming you are in the US, keep an eye on newegg, tigerdirect, amazon, buy, etc.

If you aren't getting good fps in games you are playing, go crossfire.
 
Back
Top