Help....Losing my mind.

Visionary

n00b
Rebuilt my server, new mobo/cpu, memory, psu.... old hard drives plus some new ones...
Mobo - Gigabyte z170-hd3
cpu - pentium g4400
memory - crucial 8 gb
psu - evga 400 watt

Anywho, I thought I would be the smart guy and get the system up and running without doing a fresh install on my hard drive. My mobo/cpu crapped out so I went with the economical route and rebuilt the essentials. I removed all the existing drivers via drivesweeper and it seemed to go great. THAT is, until I tried to create a raid with 2 new hard drives. Problem is, every time I try to create a raid (1) for this system the whole system will not boot. Why can't I run my OS on one drive and have 2 drives in Raid 1 for mirrored storage? I've done it before on an older system using a raid card but the motherboard has it built in. Am I having a software issue?

Also, I tried to run the ez-raid and now the system doesn't want to boot at all.

help!

Really sounds like a AHCI and IDE issue between the drives. That is if you're using the motherboard to handle the newly created RAID 1 array then it shouldn't have anything to do with the OS drive unless the OS drive is running in IDE mode and the RAID array is loading AHCI mode in which case I don't think it will work.

If Windows was installed under IDE (depending on how old of a system you upgraded from) getting it to boot using AHCI mode, while not impossible, can be annoying.

So check to make sure all drives are booting with AHCI.

So it seems I had messed up something in the Bios, i reset the bios and I was able to get the computer to boot. Now for some reason, I can see the Raid volume but its not showing in my computer.. I am realizing now as I type this, that the drives aren't formatted. That is most likely why...

Actually I didn't, I left it in AHCI.... I used the raid software that came with the motherboard to do the raid from within windows.

Back