Help for better audio?

TechHead

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 12, 2001
Messages
3,870
Hello all!
Just wanted some help from you guys for better audio.
Problem is, my computer desk is fairly narrow, so there is just enough space between the monitor and the case to fit the AE2 left speaker. It's angled in, as is the one on the right.
Will placing the system on a wider desk,i.e. greater separation of the speakers help?
FLACs through Winamp + Otachan ASIO sound just fine, but I'm missing a bit of mid-range thump in rock and heavy electronica tracks. How do I improve midrange?

Source: Asus Xonar DX
Amp: None
Speakers: AudioEngine AE2s
Headphones: Sennheiser HD555
OS - Vista x64
System - in sig.
Primary use: Music 65%, Gaming 35%.


Questions:

1) Is this placement optimal? 20" Viewsonic monitor

2) How do I get better midrange through the speakers?
:)

Many thanks to Jodiuh for the format :D
 
Are the speakers about ear-level? Do you have a picture of the setup?
 
I think a sub would solve that problem. You can't build a house on a weak foundation. ;)
 
I got the A5s and I still wanna get a sub eventually. Their lows are good and warm, but I'm a basshead. A sub won't exactly help with the mids though. I've never heard the A2s, but the A5s have amazing mids. I still hear things I've never noticed before in songs I've heard hundreds of times.

Have you messed with EQ at all?
 
If you want a more solid sound, the speakers should be rigidly mounted and placed closer to a back wall.
Too close to the back wall and the sound may start to boom so listen as you move the speakers and choose the best location.
Place 4 spots of Blutack under the corners of each speaker to better mount them.
 
Excuse the crappy E71 photo..

04122008084.jpg


About 1.5 feet to the rear wall.

@GJS - not really. Flat EQ.. would it help if I did?
 
Maybe the A2s are different, but I think the A5s are supposed to be about 6-8 inches from the wall. Yours may need to be closer. Mine are 3-4 inches, but that's because my desk is right up against the wall.
 
^Yeah, I think I'm going to try that first. Pity that AS8 subwoofer isn't available here :(
 
^Yeah, I think I'm going to try that first. Pity that AS8 subwoofer isn't available here :(

Where? What is available?

The A2s certainly need some help in the bass area. Moving the speakers closer to the wall usually ups the bass output at the cost of detail. You want them at least 3 ft apart and and 6 inches from the wall. Even a small sub, properly placed and tuned, will get you some great results.
 
Where? What is available?

The A2s certainly need some help in the bass area. Moving the speakers closer to the wall usually ups the bass output at the cost of detail. You want them at least 3 ft apart and and 6 inches from the wall. Even a small sub, properly placed and tuned, will get you some great results.

The AS8 SW, made by AudioEngine specifically for the AE2 and AE5 sets.
I'm in India, no luck with the AS8 here :(
 
Trying, or might just hook my PC up to a new HT system I'm building.
Marantz amp, KEF egg speakers.
 
Try putting your speakers on little stands. The bass drivers are awful close to a reflective surface.
 
Trying, or might just hook my PC up to a new HT system I'm building.
Marantz amp, KEF egg speakers.

Go with that. Make certain to isolate the speakers from the desk somehow. Stands or even a bit of thick fabric will help. Maybe move the desk away from the wall a few inches?
 
Go with that. Make certain to isolate the speakers from the desk somehow. Stands or even a bit of thick fabric will help. Maybe move the desk away from the wall a few inches?

Blu-Tack is about the best cheap thing to isolate the speakers from a surface as it holds them rigid as well.
 
Back
Top