Help Desk Programs...

bigflavor

Weaksauce
Hello,

I've been assigned to find less expensive alternatives to NetSupport Manager.

The main features we're looking for are:
- Remote control (pretty much taken care with TightVNC and GenControl)
- Computer Inventory (w. client or w.out)
- the ability to record Desktop sessions (screen capturing for training purposes)

NetSupport Manager weighs in at $10k... so any other input from anyone who can recommend programs that do the above would really be helpful.

Thanks,

Matt

I evaluated HelpStar a while back. It proved too expensive for our organization, but might suit your needs. I don't recall it having remote control capabilities, but I've always just used Dameware MRC for that.

Hi Matt,

I've been using DEKSI Network Inventory for a while and its been great. If I remeber correctly, it was 500 bucks. Basically it's just a little executable that you launch when the user signs on that collects the computer info and stores it in an XML file which the administration console then reads to get the info.

Check it out here

Hopefully this helps somewhat.

Have you ever hear of Track-it ?? We currently use that and it isnt that expensive depending on how much you use it. Website

We use Intuit TrackIt. More than meets the eye with this software. We log tickets, track installs for inventory, it allows remote control (although TightVNC is much better) and has a web interface so you don't have to install the client on every computer. Holla at your boy.

P.S.: I have a feeling it is expensive as hell tho. GL

DragonNOA1 said:
We use Intuit TrackIt. More than meets the eye with this software. We log tickets, track installs for inventory, it allows remote control (although TightVNC is much better) and has a web interface so you don't have to install the client on every computer. Holla at your boy.

P.S.: I have a feeling it is expensive as hell tho. GL

Track-It gets expensive fast. It's better than a lot of packages, though. Forgot about that one.

mac_cnc said:
Have you ever hear of Track-it ?? We currently use that and it isnt that expensive depending on how much you use it. Website

We used Track-It where I used to work. I really enjoyed how easy it was to install the client on PCs in our company.

The only thing I didn't like was this -- there's two different ways to view the inventory and what-not (Work orders, etc). There's a web-app and a stand-alone app. With the web-app, you could only view like 60 records at once (Or was it 100, I can't remember). With the stand-alone app, it viewed them all.

Trackit SUCKS.

We use it at my company and it's got to be the worst program on the network and it's the worst ticketing software I've used. It has two interfaces, web and GUI, the web client times out all the time, crashes IE, freezes IE, freaks out if you have any popup blockers running (even though in and of itself, it doesn't have use or have any popups) and it doesn't work at all in any browser other than IE. And for the GUI client, it locks up the app, locks up the computer, crashes all the time, and I have to reinstall it at least once week.

I have also used IETsolutions and would much rather use that, even though that did also have it's weakspots.

We're switching to the enterprise version of trackit soon simply because of all of the problems we are having with the regular version, so we'll see what happens.

So... a summery:

Remote Control Software: TightVNC
Inventory: Track-it
Desktop recording: {NONE}

How is Track-it priced? The damned sales rep had me on hold for a few minutes so I hung up. Is it crazy expensive?
Are there any free alternatives?

Thanks,

Matt

BuudWeizErr said:
Trackit SUCKS.

We use it at my company and it's got to be the worst program on the network and it's the worst ticketing software I've used. It has two interfaces, web and GUI, the web client times out all the time, crashes IE, freezes IE, freaks out if you have any popup blockers running (even though in and of itself, it doesn't have use or have any popups) and it doesn't work at all in any browser other than IE. And for the GUI client, it locks up the app, locks up the computer, crashes all the time, and I have to reinstall it at least once week.

I have also used IETsolutions and would much rather use that, even though that did also have it's weakspots.

We're switching to the enterprise version of trackit soon simply because of all of the problems we are having with the regular version, so we'll see what happens.

we use the enterprise edition so its hard to tell if its the regular version or your network. But once in a blue moon when the network hiccups we have a trackit problem. Other then that its been great.

just found an open source project called Cam Studio that will allow you to record desktop sessions. I haven't had the chance to mess with it. But it is located here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/camstudio/

Just wanted to post it up for any later searches.

-Matt

edit:

other programs I found are
My Screen Recorder: http://www.deskshare.com/msr.aspx $30 {program is doodoo}
Matchware ScreenCorder: http://www.matchware.net/en/products/screencorder/default.htm $250
Camtasia Studio: http://www.techsmith.com/products/studio/default.asp $300
Capture v2: http://www.multidmedia.com/software/capture/index.php $199

Anyone have any experience with any of these or CamStudio?

Back