• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Help Decide Between 2 SSDs

PC_User

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Sep 15, 2007
Messages
5,022
I have the option of getting the two SSDs below at the specified prices. Please advise.

Intel 320 (3gb/s) - 300gb - $370
Intel 510 (6gb/s) - 120gb - $180

I am currently using an X58 system and do not plan to upgrade for another year at least (meaning no 6gb/s support for me). Does it make any sense to go with the 120gb 510 series drive? I am leaning toward the 300gb.

Thanks.
 
IMO....NO.

You are not going to use 6Gb anyways, and when/if you do, 6GB SSDs will be much improved and cheaper.

I would rather get the extra GB of space for now and use it for the next 12 months (at least).

Oh...and the new, fixed firmware for the 320 will be out shortly as well.
 
IMO....NO.

You are not going to use 6Gb anyways, and when/if you do, 6GB SSDs will be much improved and cheaper.

I would rather get the extra GB of space for now and use it for the next 12 months (at least).

Oh...and the new, fixed firmware for the 320 will be out shortly as well.

Thanks. Will probably go with the 320 series (even though its double the price). Is this firmware issue only limited to some drives in some circumstances?
 
Thanks. Will probably go with the 320 series (even though its double the price). Is this firmware issue only limited to some drives in some circumstances?

There won't be a noticeable difference in speed between the two unless you're using SATA 3, and even if you were, you won't notice a difference in normal day to day usage.

As for getting the larger drive, it will be well worth it. You won't have to deal with running out of space, which is one of the biggest problems people still have with them (Intel has pretty much gotten rid of the reliability issues). So if you're willing to shell out the dough, I think you'll definitely be satisfied with the 320.
 
Is this firmware issue only limited to some drives in some circumstances?

Intel has not clearly answered that question, as far as I know. In my estimation, the problem can happen with any 320 series SSD. It is basically a random event every time the power is cycled without a safe shutdown. The probability is probably low, I'd guess less than 1 in 100 on every unsafe shutdown, possibly significantly less.

Nevertheless, I'd wait to buy until Intel releases the firmware fix and let others be the beta testers of the new firmware for some time.
 
I am confident that Intel will release an updated firmware shortly; these drives have always been known for their reliability.

After all, I have to be confident as I am employed there and have no other choice...
 
I am confident that Intel will release an updated firmware shortly; these drives have always been known for their reliability.

After all, I have to be confident as I am employed there and have no other choice...

LOL...good one! :D

Seriously though, I have an 80GB G2, and need to upgrade because of space. Have scoured all the other 120GB drives, and at the end of the day, they all have firware problems - but I decided on a 320, because I was confident that Intel would actually release a firware that would fix the problem or if not, replace with another SSD. I don't have the same level of confidence with most of the other brands.
 
Last edited:
the 510 doesn't have a known firmware bug I don't think.. which is why I ditched my agility 3 for one just today... random throughput isn't the best on the 510 but oh well.. stability seems to be there which is key. That 320 firmware bug is kind of scary but hopefully they do sort it out soon... I didn't want to have to worry about unclean shutdowns wiping my disk out so went with the 510. Granted it's a very slim chance but I'm neurotic and didn't want to worry. lol :p
 
Thanks for all of the advice. Went for the 320 series 300GB after all. Expecting it to be quite an improvement over my current WD 640 Black.

All in all, I probably would not have noticed a tremendous difference between SATA2 and SATA3...not to mention that I likely will not upgrade to LGA2011 for another year or so.
 
I also just ordered a 120GB 320 despite the 8MB bug. They always seemed to be out of stock at Newegg and it came back in stock just as I was going to order my new computer build.
 
Back
Top