Help choose a 40 inch TV for the master bedroom (Plasma, LCD, etc...)

computerinfo

Limp Gawd
I am about to build a new BeyondTV link box for the master bedroom and have a question about which 40 inch monitor to use.

Since prices have fallen so much, I am going with a 1080 vs 720 set. I have always liked Plasma better than LCD, but since the source will be coming from a PC, I assume that an LCD is better.

1. Has the Plasma vs. LCD battle been won yet when it comes to PC use.
2. Are there any recommended TV set in the 40 inch range that are current models that are recommended. (Samsung, Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic, etc...)

Anyone else...

Do you know of any current reviews in this catagory. So many of the reviews I find are from previous models. These models change so quickly.

I was in the market for a 37 inch a few months ago and had done a lot of research and being a college student I was on a tight budget. I had a few choices in mind so I went to a local store to get a close up view of each and I ended up settling on 40 inch Samsung (Model LN40A550). The store actually price matched my online price of $999 out the door (good price at the time). So far I couldn't be more happier, although you always seem to want it bigger but other than that and no 120hz (3:2 Pulldown/Blu ray seem to look fine) the TV is outstanding coupled with Clique's (member of AVS that has professional calibration hardware) settings the TV looks and performs fantastic.

The tv was a perfect balance of price/performance for me and if you have a bit more money to spend I heard really good things about the 650/750/850 series Samsungs and the Sony TV's (Especially good with SD material).

The more I search to more options I find.

Here are a group on 40-42 inch displays from newegg. - so many choices

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2E16889101179,N82E16889104124,N82E16889102208

Are there any features that are more or less importanct given that the sourect will be a computer verses coming directly from a cable box.

Not that I can think of other than a screen that doesn't suffer from burn-in and low refresh (ms). All I have is a lcd so I can't comment on anything else.

I just got a SONY 40" Bravia. Its an excellent TV for the cost, very clear picture. The LG 37" is nice too.

I have a Sony XBR3 40". Best LCD I've owned. The new versions have 120Hz.

You really can't beat a Pioneer and Panasonic Plasmas for color and blacks.

What about Plasma?

Plasmas are a great deal.

Best bang for the buck.

Your HT's environment can play a big role in the Plasma vs LCD game.

If your HT is very bright with natural light, get an LCD.

If it's dark, I'd say save a few bucks. Get better blacks and buy a Plasma.

How does computer text look on a Plasma TV vs LCD? I am definately leaning towards Plasma, but am concerned that it my not be best with a PC.

Anyone. I can't decide between LCD and Plasma and would like to know how the windows interface (text on the screen) looks with a Plasma TV.

If you would use it as a monitor, go with LCD. I heard Plasma burn-in are not issue anymore but it is not something i have any experience with.

Also, check out the Samsung 5 series.

I got a Samsung LN40A550 LCD in August from Amazon for $1090. It's like $950 now. Great set for the money. Not as sharp as my dad's several-year-old 41" Sony Bravia, but that was a few thousand at the time too. It also depends on the quality of the channel. A channel claiming to be HD doesn't have to mean its programs use top-notch cameras.

I got a Samsung LN40A550 LCD in August from Amazon for $1090. It's like $950 now. Great set for the money. Not as sharp as my dad's several-year-old 41" Sony Bravia, but that was a few thousand at the time too. It also depends on the quality of the channel. A channel claiming to be HD doesn't have to mean its programs use top-notch cameras.

I have this tv and paid a bit more for it in the spring from CC, but i think its still a great tv for the price.

Yeah, it's a great set. As long as you aren't sitting two feet from it, HD picture looks great. Close up it looks pixelated, but that's not the TV's fault.

I want to spend under $1200.

I find that for the price I have too many options.

I definately want the 1080 vs 720.

I like the Panasonce Plasma's as well (TH-42Z85U) as the Samsung LN40a650 or LN40A550 / 46/A550.

The 650 models use 120Hz. Some people like it, some people say it looks unnatural. I haven't seen it myself. Just a heads up.

Ok, so here's the real question.....

If you had up to $1200 to buy 40-46 inch LCD or Plasma to use in a bedroom (mostly at night) with the video feed comming form a HTPC running Beyond TV, what you you choose.

1. LCD or Plasma
2. What specific models.
3. I assume that a 40 or 46 inch will seem similiar from 12 feet away in bed.

It looks like Samsung, Sony, Panasonic all make great set. I have done the research to figure out the differences between the confusing model numbers, so I just need real work advice now.

My current setup:

LCD - using the Vizio 47"
Distance is 8-12 feet.

Best thing to do is go b&m and see all units first hand.

The problem I have with going to a brick and morter to see them is that they all will look the same. I don't trust their source or cabeling.

When I have seen LCDs and Plasmas in stores..... to be honest, they all look great.

That being said, I just want one that will fit my needs as a bedroom set that will be viewed 10 feet away, mostly at night without any glare and that will be feed HD directly from a computer running BeyondTV Link.

go with an lcd with matt finish. Least amount of glare.

Most plasma have a glossy coating.

40-42" w/ 1080p is good. check out the samsung 5 series. excellent lcd within your price range.

The 5 series is on my list. I am probably going with the Samsung LN46a550 or the Panasonic Plasma TH-46PZ85U.

I just can't make up my mind.

If you go LCD, make sure it's not a TN panel.

A lot of budget TVs use these panels.

Horrible angles and color.

I went to a brick and Mortar store and say all the Samsungs, Panasonics, Sonys, etc.....

I walk away even more confused. Some sets looked great and some looked horrible. I could not compare since the sets all had different quality feeds.

Once again, do I go with a:
LCD: Samsung LN46A550
Plasma: Panasonic: TH-46PZ85U

Once thing I noticed about the Plasma sets it that they have a nice protective glass front on them. That may be nice with a little toddler.

What Sony's models should I bee comparing these to. The have a S4100, V4100 and W4100 and I don't know the difference.

OP, if you're willing to settle for something smaller, or if you can move the TV a tad closer (?) then amazon currently has a high-end 32" panasonic 1080P S-IPS panel LCD for $679 shipped.

This TV is one of the few that excel with PC usage, which would help if you ever decide to pair it with an HTPC: the panasonic viera TC-32LZ800 http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1033517161

Otherwise if you're bent on a 42" then i'd still consider a panasonic plasma.

Ok, so here's the real question.....

If you had up to $1200 to buy 40-46 inch LCD or Plasma to use in a bedroom (mostly at night) with the video feed comming form a HTPC running Beyond TV, what you you choose.

1. LCD or Plasma
2. What specific models.
3. I assume that a 40 or 46 inch will seem similiar from 12 feet away in bed.

It looks like Samsung, Sony, Panasonic all make great set. I have done the research to figure out the differences between the confusing model numbers, so I just need real work advice now.

I am running a 42" Panasonic 1080P Plasma in my bedroom hooked to my Vista Ultimate HTPC.
Text is sharp, although not as sharp as an LCD, but it isn't blurry.

Lcd is only way to go and do not have to worry about burn in soo much either.. i have a olevia and love it

Definately go LCD. Get 42in or bigger. I've got a 42 philips plasma and 42 vizio and a 52 samsung and both lcd's blow the plasma away. Plus they were lighter and easier to hang on the wall and produce less heat.

LCD
Samsung LN-46a550
Samsung LN-40a650

Plasma
Panasonic TH-46PZ85U

I still can't decide......

I have used both, mind you, not those particular models but I have used plasma and LCD's in a pc enviroment. Both for pc gaming, movies and console gaming.Plasma's still have the edge in regards to having deep blacks. Even compared to a Samsung 7 series, plasma's seem to grant deep blacks without the black crush normally associated when you set the brghtness too low. My only two gripes with my old Panasonic was the annoying image retention and the lack of anti judder 120hz features found on many of the newer or current LCD sets.

If you are getting a LCD , make sure it has a LED backlight (less heat generated in the computer or movie room)

Keep in mind when shipping a plasma or picking one up from your local store, make sure it's upright at all times during it's transportation

I'm done deciding......

I just bought the Panasonic TH-42PZ85u from Amazon for under a grand.

I was spending way to much time on this and had to just make up my mind.

I can't believe how much stress I went through with this decision.

In the end I chose the Panasonic Plasma for the following reasons.

- Viewing will be done at night with dim lighting
- I like the protective glass vs LCD (I have a 4 year old)
- Did not like the Samsung a550 as an option
- viewing angles

I finally feel free again.

If you are dead set to get one now the samsung 4081 is really at the top of the heap for performance to price ratio. It has led backlight so the blacks are pretty black.

If you can wait till the end of this year though the new 950 will probably be around what the 81 series is now. The 81 is a fantastic tv but the 950 is even better and it's probably worth it tow ait for most people.

Back