help a wireless newb out.

joethemole

Gawd
i'm gonna pick up some wireless setup in a few hours.

i'm looking at for router:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...10028246&catid=19994&logon=&langid=EN&dept=18

and for adapter:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...10047321&catid=19997&logon=&langid=EN&dept=18

Oh and this is the only shop i'm willing to buy them at, cause i have some coupons to use there.

my questions are:

1. is this setup OK? i have a notebook, which i want to hook up to the router via ethernet cable, and a pc which i want to use with the adapter.

2. is 802.11g/54mbps like the "regular" wireless speeds that everyone uses? or is it like out of date?

3. Will switching from wired to this wireless setup dramatically reduce my downloading speed? especially from bit torrent. I don't game online that often, with the exception of cs, which i no longer play.

joethemole said:
1. is this setup OK? i have a notebook, which i want to hook up to the router via ethernet cable, and a pc which i want to use with the adapter.
This setup is fine. However, this part "i have a notebook, which i want to hook up to the router via ethernet cable, and a pc which i want to use with the adapter" seems backwards. Why cable the notebook?

joethemole said:
2. is 802.11g/54mbps like the "regular" wireless speeds that everyone uses? or is it like out of date?
Yup, there are some "108 Mbps speedbooster" things, but they also use G, and are mostly a marketing thing.

joethemole said:
3. Will switching from wired to this wireless setup dramatically reduce my downloading speed? especially from bit torrent. I don't game online that often, with the exception of cs, which i no longer play.
Not unless you have a WAN connection of more than 10-20 Mbps.

If you can get a decent connection (30MB/s or better) you probably will not be able to see any difference at all from a wired network (unless you usually transfer very large files between networked computers). But why don't you get this instead? And right now wireless B and G (2.4Ghz, 54/11MB/s) is the standard, but wireless A (5.8Ghz, 54MB/s) is starting to emerge. Other than that it looks like it should work. Good luck.

blackcode

Wireless A is being phased out for the most part in favor of 802.11G. A is an older standard that G.

thx for responses guys!

oh and i forgot to say that i am on a budget, which is why the router/adapter that i want to buy are both on sale.

the reason why i want to go wireless on pc and not notebook, is because i want to get my own pc into my room, and not the office where the notebook is; also because theres no plug to plug the modem in in my room. it is only found in the office, which is why i need the modem/router in there.

Oh and i'm trying to save money by only going wireless on the pc, not the notebook.

compusa.com is selling at&t routers for 20$ and cards for 10$. i know you said you only wanted to business with that company; just passing along some info.

t00thless said:
compusa.com is selling at&t routers for 20$ and cards for 10$. i know you said you only wanted to business with that company; just passing along some info.

i live in canada ;)

well i just bought both of the above mentioned parts, and have just set them up.

i'm currently getting 36/48 constantly, which has the "very good" rating. I can't seem to get all 54s all the time.

Is this good enough or what?

Back