• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

headphone shopping

Putz

I have a custom title
2FA
Joined
Jul 8, 2002
Messages
5,586
budget is 150-200$ or so

mic is nice, but i can always get a separate mic, seems you sacrifice a lot to get a mic on the headset

using the auzentech forte with headphone amp so they must be analog

other option is headphones with the larger headphone jack off my amp, bit i imagine it sounds better right off the headphone amp on the sound card

..im also in Canada and im not buying from the USA (Customs and brokerage do not supply lube)
NCIX.com and newegg.ca are where im looking not but open to anything in Canada

i prefer the full cover type as well
 
Last edited:
should also add, i want something tough, im sick of my 50-80$ logitech's crapping out after a year from "use" and the speakers fading in and out as you tip your head back and forth lol

the wires going into the head set always seem to get worn and the connections get messed
 
JVC HARX700's + Forte rocks from my experience! I much prefer them over my 3X more expensive JVC HA-DX3's, they're fun to listen to for sure. Many use the Zalman clip on mic, I preferred the boom flex mic of my previous TB HAP2's so I got some 3.5mm cord, zip tied it to the lh earcup, and go when I need it for gaming...works like a charm with the loud and clear recording of the HPA2 mic. A little more expensive, but still a solid solution too.

I know on newegg.com the HARX700's are $35 shipped, dunno about newegg.ca..hopefully it's just as cheap! There are many other good options, but my experience with this cheap pair of headphones has been nothing but an excellent experience, and teamed with the forte has really made me content with my purchase. I use them for movies, music and games (w/cmms3d), gotta say I will probably sell my DX3's to recoup that loss, but my 700's will be around for a while.
 
budget is 150-200$ or so

mic is nice, but i can always get a separate mic, seems you sacrifice a lot to get a mic on the headset

using the auzentech forte with headphone amp so they must be analog

other option is headphones with the larger headphone jack off my amp, bit i imagine it sounds better right off the headphone amp on the sound card

..im also in Canada and im not buying from the USA (Customs and brokerage do not supply lube)
NCIX.com and newegg.ca are where im looking not but open to anything in Canada

i prefer the full cover type as well

what "amp" do you have?
if its a proper receiver, it'll probably be comparable, or better than, the forte's onboard circuitry, simply because of how much power it'll likely provide (with no issue), so aside from a potential impedance mismatch (which will take you a lifetime to notice without something (proper) to compare it to), shouldn't be an issue

they also make adapters from 3.5mm to 6.3mm and reverse

unless the USD has somehow recovered massively in the last month, I'm thinking newegg.ca is a bad idea:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106390
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106390

the HD-595 should be easily had within your budget (newegg's price is over the top in either market (http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1251011007&sr=8-1))

from some quick browsing on NCIX and Newegg, their options quite frankly get you coming and going with no mercy, find somewhere better to shop, basically

HD 515 should not cost >$120, HD555 should not cost >$200, HD595 should not cost >$350 (you can get the HD 600 for less than that money stateside)

aside from Sennheiser, you should also look at M-Audio, Audio-Technica, and JVC (as has been mentioned), in particular (in order by manufacturer): Studiophile Q40, AD700, and HARX700
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I use an extension cable on the Forte and also have a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter cable already so my only concern is the headphones themselves, not plug size. If move around and do something stupid the extension cable comes unplugged from the headphones rather than stressing or damaging the headphone or Forte cables/plugs.

I think I am going to grab the open design Grado sr225i. But they seem to be even more pricey (might be too expensive if your budget of $200 is firm) in Canada and US etailers are not supposed to ship them to addresses outside of the US.http://www.gramophone.ca/index.php?p=productMore&iProduct=171 I bought a set of $50 (US) igrado cans and I really like the sound paired with my Auzentech Forte with the optional OPA 637AU installed. I upgraded the OPAMP before I bought the igrado cans. The igrado use the same drivers as the Grado sr60i so the sr225i should be three steps above the igrado. The more expensive sr325i seem to be too large for my personal wants/needs. I am still hesitating (simply because of my budget) but sooner later I will buy them. Seems like a decent set of cans will last me for many years, not like I will be upgrading them every year or two.

http://www.gradolabs.com

http://www.gramophone.ca/index.php?p=productsList&sWord=grado
 
Last edited:
Back
Top