HDTV - 720p - exist under $400?

patriot71

Gawd
Joined
Sep 22, 2004
Messages
917
I am in the market for a new TV and I am really wanting to go HD. I have done some research and I have determined that I want to go 720p but I havent located a TV that fits in my budget. I did manage to find a 27" 1080i television for $330, but I refrained because I wouldnt be completely happy with my purchase.

Does anyone know of any decent sized 720p's in my price range? Do they exist? Any advice or links to places of purchase or other forums with more info would be greatly appreciated!
 
My brother got the Niko 26" TV from tigerdirect for $450 after rebate. I thought he made a careless decision, but it turns out that it's a nicer TV than I thought, no dead pixels, good features a lot of inputs. The TV offers a lot for the price. The picture is so-so on SDTV, I don't have HDTV but hooking the PC up and watching a HD trailer the quality is pretty good. I don't recommend using it as a monitor though, the pixels aren't sharp compared to a LCD monitor.
Also the TV is 1280x768, which is 15:9, for 720p it will leave very small black bars at top and bottom. I've tested for banding and it seems there is none at all which impressed me and the ghosting is minimal. If you're ok with buying from tigerdirect, then I recommend it for a ~$400 TV.

There is also the Syntax Olevia LT26HVX which I heard is a pretty good TV although its a bit more expensive, around $500. They have this TV at compusa and also circuit city I believe so you can check it yourself.
 
you could build a DIY projector for that much.

I'm thinking about doing it though I don't have tools to make the enclosure so I am pretty much SOL I think. All the places that sell premade kits only make them for sub 15" monitors and none of those are HD I think.
 
NeezyDeezy said:
sony w900 $100
dvico fusion5hdtvlite $100

1080p for $200
howzat?

A search for a sony w900 brings up a cell phone and the dvico fusion5hdtvlite sounds nice. But how do I turn this into a decent sized 1080p display? All I have is a 17" monitor.... If it involves buying a new projector or monitor, it is kind of pointless.

Edit - Nevermind, I figured out that you were referring to a driver when you mentioned the w900.

But regardless of this, I still need a display that can do 720p/1080p or whatever.
 
patriot71 said:
Edit - Nevermind, I figured out that you were referring to a driver when you mentioned the w900.

uh, not quite... the sony multiscan 900 is an old school 24 inch crt monitor with a native rez of 1920x1200, plenty for 1080p.

so my combo is still unbeatable... consider than an open challenge [h]-forums!
 
Back
Top