• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

HDD setup for new computer

Joined
Feb 22, 2005
Messages
37
My current work rig is running a mirrored hdd setup with two partitions, one for my OS, and one for my programs and data files. I had to go that route before because I didn't have enough IDE ports without installing an additional controller card.

With my new rig, is there really a reason to have two sets of mirrored hdds?? I will be using SATA so I have the room now to have four hard drives, but it will cost me more, there will be more power draw from the PS, and more heat put into the case. Looking at 300GB drives for sure and if I get an additional 2 for the OS, I'll get the smallest size available in SATA.

So whats the opinion, 2 300GB hdds with 2 partitions. Or 2 250GB hdds and 2 80GB hdds, with 1 partition each??
 
Unless you plan to multitask heavily and can take advantage of multiple spindles servicing multiple simultaneous requests, one array of two drives should be fine.
 
I do a fair bit of Photoshop work, but most of what I do isn't hard drive intensive I don't believe. I will be pulling a hdd out of my current computer to use for my swatch disk for Photoshop, so I guess on that note, I'll just go for the larger drive with two partitions.
 
Back
Top