• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

HDD died?

  • Thread starter Deleted whining member 223597
  • Start date
D

Deleted whining member 223597

Guest
So yesterday I came back from school and turned on my PC to find that windows would not boot. I had it installed on my old G.Skill SSD, and I thought that was dead at first. Well, after a few hours of plugging SSD's and the HDD in and out in different combinations I found out that if the HDD is connected, windows will not boot and will crash the windows install/repair (with both Windows 7 disk and Windows 8.1 flash drive). The BIOS still recognizes the HDD, but it crashes any form of windows. I only had backup stuff/random files on there and the page file. So, my question is what the reason is behind it crashing windows?
 
Plug in the sata cable after the boot. Then look at the drive in crystaldiskinfo.
 
It's been about 10 minutes and crystal disk still hasn't been able to load (I tried with the HDD disconnected and it showed the info for my 4 other drives within seconds). Went to change the page file just for shits and giggles, and that isn't responding anymore either. I guess I'll let it sit for a while and see if it does anything. Otherwise, I guess it's broken without any hope of getting the files.


EDIT: It started up, and the problem area is C5 (Current Pending Sector Count) the Raw value is: 00000000000D
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'm using Recuva right now to get all the files I actually care about. I guess 6+ years isn't so bad.
 
Please don't use the word "crash" without saying specifically what happens. Error message?
 
Back
Top