hdcp

3dsplorer

n00b
Hi, I have a radeon x1950pro HDCP edition, and I have it hooked up to a flat screen samsung syncmaster 931bw 19inch display. Since Im a noobie like it says under my name, I dont know how to enable that HDCP on my card to display on my lcd. Could someone help me out here? Do i need additional hardware to enable it, and would it make a difference visually in games, lets say?

thankya

hdcp is for copy right protection that allows you to play retail blu ray/hd dvd disks providing all components in your system are able to complete the hdcp check with each other. if i understand correctly, hdcp is in place only to ensure 1080p play back. if you're outputting to a 19 in monitor then the only thing you need is a dvd decoder (power dvd) that has high def capabilities. if you were to try to display to a 1080p panel, then the hdcp copy right protection on the disk would check that you had a 1080p capable decoder, a hdcp enabled video card, and a hdcp signal through the dvi or hdmi port on your tv.

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying that for me. So i would need a dvd decoder to get 1080p then, right?

yep, if you're displaying to a 1080p hd tv. there are decoders that are limited to 1080i, the only legitimate 1080p decoder i know of is power dvd ultra, but there might be some free ware full high def decoders out there. since your 19 in lcd is not 1080p you wouldn't have to buy power dvd ultra. you might wan to post a question in the home theater pc forum about what decoder they recommend.

Back