HD Gaming? confusion galore...

Zekenstein

n00b
Well, I was looking at those 32" Sharp Aquos HDTV LCD's. Here's the thing, I wanto to get the 1080p one for quality, but do I need to have a Hd tuner built in? Is gaming really even in HD or not? I'll only ever use this monitor for computer gaming so is it necessary to have the tuner or will I only be using the monitor? Any explanation would help?

I'm getting a 37'' 1080p W3 Westinghouse very soon as well.. I've been doing some searching around. You don't need a tuner, that is only for tuning HD broadcast channels. What you want is a DVI port so you can hook up the PC directly to it to game with. Set the pc resolution to 1920x1080.

First off, having an HD tuner has nothing to do with gaming. Gaming in and of inself is done in many resolutions. HD is a buzz word used commonly for TV and has nothing to do with gaming. What it sound like you want to do is hook your computer up to an HD TV. The two "HD" resolutions that would be common for gaming on a television are 1280 x 720 and 1920 x 1080. All typical inputs VGA, Component, DVI, and HDMI are capable of receiving an HD signal, but most of the time the TV manufacturer will not make all of them usable with higher resolutions. The 32" Aquos you are looking at would work at 1280 x 720 when hooked up to your PC. It may also take in a 1920 x 1080 source from your PC but it will downscale it to 1280 x 720. If you are looking at the 37" TVs, some of the newer ones will be able to display 1920 x 1080 without scaling anything. One thing to watch out for is that I know that the older versions (roughly 1.5 to 2 years ago) of the 45" Aquos, which has a 1080p panel, did infact NOT work with a 1920 x 1080 signal coming from a PC when hooked up using the DVI port. I've heard many people of late using them now though. There is someone posting on here by the name of Sunin I believe who just got a 52" Sharp Aquos. If reading all of this text confuses you, PM him/her and ask if he/she could take some pictures detailing how they hook the PC up to the TV.

Only 720 lines of resolution on a PC game on a screen that big isnt going to look good.

Back