Having some troubles with my NAS (Running OpenIndiana)

Jesse B

[H]ard|Gawd
First things first, I have basically no experience with anything Solaris related. I'm quite familiar with Linux however.

I recently set up my server running OpenIndiana. It's installed to a random HD I had laying around, and I set up a ZFS mirror with my two Samsung F4's, giving me 2TB of redundant storage. I'm also running a couple VM's off this server temporarily using VirtualBox (web server and a media server), just until I build a proper virtualization/storage server.

Anyways, basically what I'm doing is just using OI for ZFS, and then I set up an NFS share for my media center VM (Ubuntu 10.10). I believe I have set things up properly, but I'm having permission issues whenever I try to download anything to the NFS share.

My mirrored pool is simply /data/. I created an NFS share for the directory /data/Media/, which contains a few folders within it for Music, Videos, etc. After reading a bit online, I appended my /etc/dfs/dfstab file in the following manner:

share -F nfs -o rw,root=192.168.0.111 /data/Media/

IP's are a bit weird because I'm not at home for awhile, but that's not important ;) Pretty much that IP is just my media server, simple enough. I created the directory /nfs on my Ubuntu media server, and ran the following command:

sudo mount 192.168.0.103:/data/Media /nfs

Where *.103 is my server. Basically I'm unable to create/add files to any of the directories within the NFS share. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

- Jesse

not sure this will help you or not but i had a problem creating new folders/adding files when i had setup a ubuntu server box. The step I missed was that the samba permissions dont override the filesystem permissions. So I had to go in and make the file folders have user write privlages and that would enable my samba sharing to go through.

Hmm, running:

sudo chmod -R 777 /data

Seems to have fixed things for now. I'm not sure this is the kind of solution I want permanently however, as this (as far as I know) gives anybody on the network full read/write permissions. Thanks for you tip however, as I now have a temporary solution :)

Scrap that... doesn't seem to be working anymore :confused:

EDIT: Upon rebooting, things are working fine. Sigh. Still looking for a more permanent solution however.

Last edited:
FreeNAS 2.0 using ZFS?

I think you mean FreeNAS 8 using ZFS.

OP what Mackintire is suggesting is that you change your NAS distro to freenas. I would agree with this only because of how solid FreeNAS has been for me in the past. If you don't want to change distros you can see if OI has any updates or patches available that could help fix your problem.

I was considering running FreeNAS originally, but ended up trying out OI. I'm fairly pleased with OI, but there are of course a few things I'm not loving. Not a huge issue.

I mainly picked OI because I wanted to run Virtualbox on top, and didn't think FreeNAS could do this. Upon some searching it appears you can. My only concern is whether or not I'll be able to import my data pool that I've created into FreeNAS or not.

EDIT: Also NFS is working now, just a tad slow. Just need to do some tweaking probably.

grats what fixed it?

I changed the dfstab to "share -F nfs -o root=192.168.0.111 /data/Media/" and ran a "chmod -R 777 /data/Media/". Not sure which of these did the trick as I did them at the same time, but it's working. I'm just not thrilled about everybody having full access to the directory, but I'll worry about that later.

what access do you want the owner of the files to have / the group / and everyone else

is you can do chmod 775
giving you and your group full access to read write and execute and visitors would have read and execute but can't write/delete

Last edited:
Back