Having issues with AT&T part 2

amrogers3

Gawd
Hello all, I have a question about network traffic I am observing between my computer and my router. I am running Leopard 10.5.8, and using the following DNS servers: Google 8.8.8.8, OpenDNS 208.67.222.222, and the default gateway.

Picture9-1.png

This is a follow-up from my earlier post:link

To recap: I am still having problems with Uverse. When I click on a link or type a website in the URL, the status bar spins and spins. Sometimes it takes a good 30 seconds or longer to load the webpage.

I captured packets using wireshark and think I may have found the problem. I noticed several DNS Format errors. I am hoping someone here is more knowledgeable and can help me sort this out. Does anyone know what the "Format Error" means, if this would cause the above issue, and how to fix it. I googled it but what I found doesn't make much sense.

Picture6-1.png

Last edited:
Doesn't seem like an AT&T problem at all to me. Why do you have 192.168.1.254 in your DNS server list? Why is it grey? Is it disabled? Doesn't seem like it since your host is still sending DNS queries there. DNS servers generally hate underscores...

When a client is configured with multiple DNS servers it sends the query to the first server and waits for a response... if no response is received it sends the same query to the next server in the list. I don't understand why you have 3 DNS servers listed one of which appears to be your 2wire(?).

Why do you have 192.168.1.254 in your DNS server list? Why is it grey? Is it disabled?

Pretty sure that is the router's IP and it just shows it there to let you know what the client PCs will be using on the LAN.

amrogers3, i see you're still having your strange issue where you cant change your primary dns.
I'm assuming your mac is configured to automatically obtain IP from DHCP, so lets try this:

In your network settings, turn OFF obtain ip automatically. You will now need to fill in the following info:
IP address: 192.168.1.x (x can be anything between 1 and 254, make it something between 100 and 200 just in case, and don't duplicate any address you already have on your network)
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254 (this is router address, im assuming yours is 192.168.1.254)
DNS: 8.8.8.8 (or use your openDNS one if you prefer, hopefully now you can remove the 192.168.1.254)

tell me if that worked, or if the 192.168.1.254 is still grayed out.

edit: this probably isn't a very permanent solution, but it's just to see if you internet gets faster.

edit: edit: heres a photo i ripped from the interwebz:
mac_network_tcpip.jpg

TURN OFF DHCP and set it to static ip (or manual assign, or whatever other option it has there)

Last edited:
So going based off that screenshot. You are still using ATT's DNS servers as its at the top of the list. You need to get your computer a static IP to force your computer to use a different DNS. Sadly on ATT's U-Verse router, you can't force it to give out a different DNS IP due to the fact it needs to use ATT's DNS servers for the IPTV portion.

Back