• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

have you ever had

p3sty

2[H]4U
Joined
Feb 22, 2006
Messages
2,622
A cpu die but give no error or post code but just keep rebooting in a endless cycle? Friend took it to geeksquad they said he had a bad cpu . I was thinking mem or psu
 
I've never had one die period, but I'd guess that the symptom of a dead CPU would be a dead board - similar to what would happen if you tried to turn it on with no CPU installed at all. Unless there was a possible cause (lightning strike, recently installed, etc) I'd be suspicious of that diagnosis.
 
My friend had the same problem with his i7.
I spent forever trying to diagnose the problem. I eventually reseated the cpu and saw several bent pins in the socket. CPU survived though.
 
after i finally got my hands on it it was the cpu. anyone got a cheap c2d for sale?
 
man thats really unusual ,a cpu dieing..was it o/clocked or o/volted...if running stock and temps were good id say you really had a bunch of bad luck...ive been building computers since 1996 and in all those years ive never run across a bad cpu from amd or intel and some of the rigs were abused as far as o/clocking goes...alot of volts but temps were always kept good no matter what it took to keep them cool...
with that kind of luck i wouldnt buy too many lotto tickets...lol
another question...was this cpu bought used ? if so maybe it was abused before you got it.....
 
Last edited:
Sure it wasn't the motherboard killing the CPU, you could be sending another one to it's doom!
 
Last edited:
man thats really unusual ,a cpu dieing..was it o/clocked or o/volted...if running stock and temps were good id say you really had a bunch of bad luck...ive been building computers since 1996 and in all those years ive never run across a bad cpu from amd or intel and some of the rigs were abused as far as o/clocking goes...alot of volts but temps were always kept good no matter what it took to keep them cool...
with that kind of luck i wouldnt buy too many lotto tickets...lol
another question...was this cpu bought used ? if so maybe it was abused before you got it.....

I worked as a Dell onsite tech for two years and i saw probably 15-20 faulty Intel CPUs. Some were DOA, some had faulty cache, and some had faulty CPU cores. I also ran into a few P4s that were not stable if HT was enabled.

I've also seen my fair share of faulty Intel CPUs on custom built machines.

Although I have not worked on nor built very many AMD machines since I had my Q6600 setup, I have only ever seen 2 faulty AMD CPUs. I believe one was a K6-2 and the other was an A64 in a Dell.

I have worked on thousands of machines so the percentage of faulty CPUs is pretty low.
 
Back
Top