Haswell ?

kingduqc

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 22, 2011
Messages
180
So im king waiting to upgrade my amd 955, does it worth waiting for Haswell, kinda not in a hurry but got the upgrade ictch. What kind of performence increase vs ivy brisge and vs my current processor? Since it's also releasing on new platform and it's a new architecture will it worth the wait.

Bf3 and dayz have performance issues cause of the cpu, aint that much of a problematic cause I don't play much but still wondering.
 
IMHO it's a great upgrade if you don't have an IB.

If you have an IB, it's maybe not so huge.
 
As a general rule stepping up only a single generation in processors families doesnt make a lot of sense. However stepping up a couple can make a big difference in performance. So the question is how long are you willing to go before you make that step up on performance and how much is it going to cost you in terms of money and time to step up sooner?
 
Haswell uses a new socket, so it might be worth considering over IB regardless since release is less than 5 months away.

There may be some additional benefits with Haswell overclocking over IB, but clock for clock Haswell may be anywhere from single digits to up to 15% faster than IB (where the CPU is the bottleneck). That's pretty significant, but everyone seems to want very large IPC improvements for each new uarch, which isn't likely due to Intel's ongoing power efficiency religion.
 
IMO the SB/IB generations will last you as long as the C2Q generations will. I'd say 4-5 years with relative ease. Haswell is coming with a lot of good built-in stuff that makes geeks happy, but the truth is most of Haswell's improvements wont be realized Day 1. Matter of fact by the time you do upgrade from a SB/IB processor Haswell's features will have been saturated in later generations and be taken advantage of more thoroughly.


As far as initial performance, it's hard to say. They through numbers of around 10-15% (mistakeningly) for IB and that was truth in some areas, but it was sporadic. I don't think anyone wants to jump the gun with Haswell and say it's "x and x percent better" even though logic tells us it will be.
 
Haswell uses a new socket, so it might be worth considering over IB regardless since release is less than 5 months away.

There may be some additional benefits with Haswell overclocking over IB, but clock for clock Haswell may be anywhere from single digits to up to 15% faster than IB (where the CPU is the bottleneck). That's pretty significant, but everyone seems to want very large IPC improvements for each new uarch, which isn't likely due to Intel's ongoing power efficiency religion.

Interesting to note, but are you sure they are less then 5 month away? Intel have not released much information in the actual release and performances and AMD surely ain't pushing em hard to force a move anyway.
 
Wait for Haswell unless you got a Microcenter which has a 3570k/3770k + board deal.

Haswell won't be that much quicker than SB/IB, and at this point 1155 is old tech compared to even 1156. Haswell is gonna have all sorts of new tech.

If you're not gaming and gots ze itch, get a SSD if you don't already have one. :)
 
Interesting to note, but are you sure they are less then 5 month away?
According to a leaked slide, several Haswell models are launching during Computex 2013.

Intel has stated repeatedly that Haswell will launch 1H'13, and that fits in near the end of that Computex show time period. So even if not during Computex, it's a couple of weeks after that.
 
Are you running a AM3+ board that supports PD? If BF3 is your game why not pickup a 8320 and OC? BF3 will make good use of a PD.

Waiting kills.
 
Are you running a AM3+ board that supports PD? If BF3 is your game why not pickup a 8320 and OC? BF3 will make good use of a PD.

Waiting kills.

AM3 only :/ no more upgrades for me except OCing more but at this point my cpu gets hot as fuck and not stable. Using the huge ass CNPS 10x cpu cooler and it's either quiet or really fucking loud. Planning on getting a h100i to cool tne next cpu I get so :/
 
Do we generally see a new set of CPUs each year? Ivy was 2012, Sandy was 2011, Haswell will be 2013? Or is that just a recent pattern?

I'm on the fence if I want to upgrade at Haswell or wait it out til the next one (mid-2014).
 
Haswell is a very mobility oriented processor, I personally would not wait. Get an IB setup now for cheap, upgrade half way through Broadwells life cycle. IMHO
 
Yes. Ivy Bridge was a bit odd in that Intel released the die shrink at all CPU levels, and tweaked the architecture, making more than just a simple die shrink.

For example, the quad-core Nehalems were 45nm, and there was a shrink to 32nm, but only 6-core Westmere chips were made from the die shrink. The quad-cores remained on 45nm. Same with the i5 750 and i7 860. Those two remained on 45nm, while i3 and dual-core i5s received the 32nm treatment.

Intel's tick-tock cycle is usually about 1-1.5 years between ticks and tocks.
 
Haswell is a very mobility oriented processor, I personally would not wait. Get an IB setup now for cheap, upgrade half way through Broadwells life cycle. IMHO

But I thought Ivy was a mobility oriented CPU too.
 
Haswell is a very mobility oriented processor, I personally would not wait. Get an IB setup now for cheap, upgrade half way through Broadwells life cycle. IMHO
I don't need an upgrade at the moment as my current desktop is still performing admirably for my needs.

I've got an AMD x4 965 CPU. It is good enough for now, but I don't know if I'll still be feeling that way one year from now (which will be three years since I built it, which is about right). I think I can wait for Broadwell but I guess we'll see.

Haswell should be a decent upgrade to Ivy though yeah? for Desktops? I know it's not a huge jump (like Ivy seemed not to be -that- much better than Sandy), but since I don't need the computer now I think I'll wait either way... for a bit at least.

Things are tempting. TY for responses.
 
For desktops, wait for Haswell if you care about energy consumption and passive cooling. Haswell may allow you to leave your computer on without using much electricity. I am waiting for Broadwell, or whatever is next.

Laptops or tablets? Definitely wait for Haswell.
 
Haswell is a very mobility oriented processor, I personally would not wait.
How is that any different from prior Intel CPUs in the modern Core 2 or later era? :p Manufacturing is tweaked for the different products (mobile, desktop, server) to produce chips in the necessary frequency/TDP ranges, so your statement is quite false on the face.

Anyways, there's nothing wrong with IB for most users, but the OP stated he wasn't in a hurry to upgrade. Suggesting a dead end socket based on an incorrect premise is not really helpful.
 
For desktops, wait for Haswell if you care about energy consumption and passive cooling. Haswell may allow you to leave your computer on without using much electricity. I am waiting for Broadwell, or whatever is next.

Laptops or tablets? Definitely wait for Haswell.

The premium you will pay for a haswell over an ivy will never materialize through savings in electricity costs.

How is that any different from prior Intel CPUs in the modern Core 2 or later era? :p Manufacturing is tweaked for the different products (mobile, desktop, server) to produce chips in the necessary frequency/TDP ranges, so your statement is quite false on the face.

Anyways, there's nothing wrong with IB for most users, but the OP stated he wasn't in a hurry to upgrade. Suggesting a dead end socket based on an incorrect premise is not really helpful.

What I meant is that haswell's developments were mostly mobility related or nothing the average user will actually need. If you use a desktop haswell wont help you that much. If you use an ultrabook then you will see benefit.

The gains in performance from ivy to haswell will also be minor IMHO, this is the same CPU with some minor improvements(the architecture is not changing). When broadwell comes around you will see a much larger performance jump from IVY. Furthermore, what I meant is that if he cannot wait and needs to upgrade then get IVY without worrying about performance because it will be sufficient for quite a while.
 
Last edited:
I don't need an upgrade at the moment as my current desktop is still performing admirably for my needs.

I've got an AMD x4 965 CPU. It is good enough for now, but I don't know if I'll still be feeling that way one year from now (which will be three years since I built it, which is about right). I think I can wait for Broadwell but I guess we'll see.

Haswell should be a decent upgrade to Ivy though yeah? for Desktops? I know it's not a huge jump (like Ivy seemed not to be -that- much better than Sandy), but since I don't need the computer now I think I'll wait either way... for a bit at least.

Things are tempting. TY for responses.

IMHO, IVY -> Haswell is minor. Ivy -> Broadwell will be more significant. IMHO Haswell is a stop gab so the bean counters can stfu about turning a profit.

I agree with your logical conclusion. If you do not need it then why waste the money.
 
What I meant is that haswell's developments were mostly mobility related or nothing the average user will actually need. If you use a desktop haswell wont help you that much. If you use an ultrabook then you will see benefit.
lol, no.
 
IMHO, IVY -> Haswell is minor. Ivy -> Broadwell will be more significant. IMHO Haswell is a stop gab so the bean counters can stfu about turning a profit.

I agree with your logical conclusion. If you do not need it then why waste the money.


We haven't really heard anything about Broadwell though. Haswell has been a known refinement talked about for the past 2 years. It comes with a lot of nifty additions, but whether they will be realized to the person buying one before they upgrade to something else is another story. Broadwell will just be a die shrink, maybe some very minor tweaks like IB, and will be a full on SoC chip (so Intel says). Besides the mobile market, where Intel is focusing on until at the very least Skylake, there shouldn't be much to see.

I could be wrong since it's too early to tell, but the only real rumors we've heard about BW is that it'll be Intel's first mainstream SoC solution, which honestly I'm not too thrilled about.
 
If you have a sandy, get Haswell. If you have an ivy, might be worth it more to get better cooling, replace the ihs tim, and call it a day. :eek:
 
I could be wrong since it's too early to tell, but the only real rumors we've heard about BW is that it'll be Intel's first mainstream SoC solution, which honestly I'm not too thrilled about.

This could be a revelation as big as putting the memory controller on the cpu. You never know.
 
Since haswell is on a new platform it will see many cpu on it no? So would it not be worth upgrading to haswell since down the road you will be able to upgrade lather on with the same motherboard instead of changing it agian?
 
Yes. Ivy Bridge was a bit odd in that Intel released the die shrink at all CPU levels, and tweaked the architecture, making more than just a simple die shrink.

For example, the quad-core Nehalems were 45nm, and there was a shrink to 32nm, but only 6-core Westmere chips were made from the die shrink. The quad-cores remained on 45nm. Same with the i5 750 and i7 860. Those two remained on 45nm, while i3 and dual-core i5s received the 32nm treatment.

Intel's tick-tock cycle is usually about 1-1.5 years between ticks and tocks.
Quad core versions of westmere were available for servers.
 
Since haswell is on a new platform it will see many cpu on it no? So would it not be worth upgrading to haswell since down the road you will be able to upgrade lather on with the same motherboard instead of changing it agian?
That's something that is yet to be determined, we shouldn't assume things like this to justify our upgrading or now. I'm personally more of an upgrade every generation kind of guy, buy from what you're coming from, definitely upgrade.
 
If you have a sandy, get Haswell. If you have an ivy, might be worth it more to get better cooling, replace the ihs tim, and call it a day. :eek:

Funny that you say that, I lost 21C from my delid which is under an RX360, and at 1.5v MAX temp on core 2 reached 73C. And I'm still going to upgrade :D
 
2016 good time to upgrade
if you are running a IB at close to 5GHZ

Best bang for the buck upgrade your video card first
 
If I were in the market to get a desktop I wouldnt care about Haswell, I'd get the lowest range K series cpu and overclock it to 4.5Ghz and forget it. I am in the market for a laptop/ultrabook for a future tour overseas late in the year so I will be waiting for an Ultrabook with a quality IPS screen.
 
Back
Top