Has anyone here used Cisco's CCNA Network Simulator?

erehwon6811

Limp Gawd
I'm doing some work in a lab for a class of mine and I have a problem. Every time I enable a serial interface, it brings itself down a few seconds later. I'm trying to fix this so I can get on with the rest of my work. Anyone here have any suggestions?

I'm in Cisco classes myself so I can definitely sympathize with what you seem to be going through. ;) So I'll help as best I can.

First off, which program are you specifically referring to when you say "Cisco's CCNA Network Simulator?" My classes use software by Boson, specifically the Netsim. Hell, from what my instructor has told us, ours and past classes have been their beta testers for this product. :)

Every time I enable a serial interface, it brings itself down a few seconds later.

First you need to determine if it's a layer 1 problem. Check things like the cable connections, the cables themselves, make sure the cables are connected into the right ports, etc. Perhaps it would be helpful to see the output of the command show interfaces serial.

Something else you could check: see if, when the problem occurs, if it is the interface itself going down or if it's the line protocol (the latter meaning it's a layer 2 problem).

I think it sounds like you are have the same software. First off, there are no cables. I'm just using the simulator.
Here is what it says when the thing goes down.

%LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial0, changed state to down
%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial0, changed state to down

Do you have a connection on the other end? I remember having a setup in the simulator where I had two routers each connected to a respective PC (ultimately to get them to PING each other). However, the PING wasn't going through because the serial connection between the routers was down.

So here's a little checklist I made to check for this problem:

1) Make sure you have a DCE and a DTE interface on the serial connection
2) Make sure both interfaces on both routers have had the no shutdown command
3) Make sure the clockrate is set on the DCE interface

Hopefully that'll help.

yeah, gotta love cisco :D
Like others said, first thing you need to check is your cables than DCE/DTE is set correctly

Back