Has anyone been to a Lanfest LAN?

Gorilla

Supreme [H]ardness
I recently signed up with some friends for the Lanfest NW event in March. I've never heard of Lanfest but they seem to run events all over the country. This one is being held at the Intel campus in Oregon which should be cool (though I suppose we won't actually see much outside of the event room). Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on how well run their LANs are. So far they have not posted any info about tournaments, events, prizes, etc. Their FAQ says no pets and no sleeping which isn't all that informative.

I regularly go to several LANfest events, Including InfernaLAN, hosted at Intel's Dupont, WA Campus, Emerald City LAN in Seattle, hosted by Atlas Networks, and the BYOC room at PAX Prime. LANfest was started by Intel employees but operates as a separate entity from Intel.

First and foremost, the events are held for fun, not competition. If prizes are offered, they're usually distributed either by raffle or at random for event participation, with only a few actually offered as tournament prizes. If you're looking for a highly competitive CS tournament, this is not the place.

I wouldn't expect to see much of the Intel building, as they keep security pretty tight. Substances are not allowed on premise, so no tailgaiting with drugs or alcohol. Otherwise, bring your compy486 and a good attitude, and you should have a great time!

I've been to about 10 of them in Sacramento. Best lan for dollar imo.

Of all the large lans I've been to its 3rd behind PDXLan and GeForce.

I highly recommend going.

I've been to one before and had a great time, I will probably go back again.

They did get upset at me for sleeping there, but I guess that's the rules. Good recommended time though!

I've been to one before and had a great time, I will probably go back again.

They did get upset at me for sleeping there, but I guess that's the rules. Good recommended time though!

The one in Sacramento has no problem with that.

Alright, thanks for the input. It sounds like it should be a pretty good time. Our group was able to get seats together which is nice. I will say that the price is refreshingly low. My only other lan experience is PDXLAN, which is 3 times the price, you don't get to bring your own chair, and they kick you out each night.

Sleeping won't be an issue as I will toss a mattress in the back of our 15 passenger van.

Back