Hardware vs Software (control volume)?

Odin75

Gawd
Joined
Mar 27, 2007
Messages
739
Well, I was just wondering. Which of the 2 would give me better sound quality out of the 2:
Raise the volume with software within the PC, or by raising the volume by the speakers itself?
I at the moment control my volume within the Pc since is easier, but I was just wondering.
 
Depends. Digital volume control in media players will degrade precision, unless it's tied to the Windows master volume (which is annoying). I personally use a little program called "Sound Volume Hotkeys" which controls master volume by Win+up/down in any application.
 
Generaly best to max out (or at least 95%) all your software volumes; and use the volume controle on your amp or powered speakers, as the case may be. If you are not using ASIO or kernal streaming, you want to avoid the Windows K-mixer to the extent possible-- meaning disabling the windows software equalizer and all windows sound effects, as well as maxing the software volumes.
 
I'm gonna second adjusting volume through your amp. Run your software volume at 85% or so. For some reason, when it gets too high it seems to me like it introduces distortion.

If you adjust through your computer, you're making your amp work harder to amplify a quieter signal. The higher you turn the volume up on your amp, the more distortion it's going to put out.
 
If you have a choice.. leave the digital at 100% and then use the regular volume pot.
 
Unfortunately, with some digital controls 100% actually means 150 or even 200 :mad: But in general yeah, I agree. I only use master volume for the x-fi, which provides sounds for games and windows. All my music is playing through 0404usb, where I use the analog volume control.
 
Well, I normally have Windows Media Player at 100%. Then, I control the master volume with my keyboard to raises the overall volume in any application. I have my speakers set to 60% pretty much. After about 75% it starts to make really bad distortion.
So, am I doing it right?
 
So, am I doing it right?

There is no right or wrong way to set the volume controls.
Figure out what works best for you and stick with it.
The results are not worth obsessing about. ;)
 
Back
Top