HardOCP Inspiron XPS Review

Jeeze, didn't feel like sleeping? :p

I must say, one of the better reviews as of late...

Definately a great article.

What I'm curious on however, is how good the response time is on the XPS. I know that on my AOpen 1557GLS barebones laptop, the response time is definately 25ms or so -- there is noticeable blurring in fast-paced FPS titles like UT2004.

Am I to assume response time is excellent since it wasn't brought up?

I own a trimmed down version of the XPS, the I9100. The Splinter Cell is not as bad as the benchies shown in the article. Perhaps an older catalyst was used in the review? The original driver that came with DELL do have problems with certain games. I downloaded the latest catalyst and mod the drivers with a mobility modder created by patje. Its been running great so far!

The LCD response time on this baby is great (15.4' WUXGA). I played UT2K4 with no blurring at all (20ms). Hope this info is helpful.

Wow, great review Kyle!

As I was reading through the article I was thinking that I would buy it if I could somehow have an option to upgrade the video card in the future. And... wammo you answered that one with a positive YES! Is Dell letting you keep the notebook? If so are you planning on posting a follow up review on the upgrades?

This is mostly due to I/O differences pointing to the hard drive. Still, our Inspiron XPS pulls within 10% of a "real" desktop computer

What were the specs of the hard drive? To my knowledge, Dell offers a 60GB 7200 RPM drive.. is the system still slower with this drive, or was a different drive used?

[Begin wandering rant]
Personally, at the price point these laptops are being offered at, I don't see their appeal. I can get a desktop with better 3D performance AND a laptop with greater mobility (battery life, weight..) for the SAME PRICE as this laptop.

Granted I won't be able to frag with the laptop, but, in many cases this is a GOOD thing because it would remove the temptation of procrastinating from what I should be doing.
[End wandering rant]

Personally, I'll wait until a standard user-replaceable graphics card interface is available before I'd be willing to put down such a considerable chunk of change on one of these gaming laptops.

I've had this laptop for a few months a love it. I take it back and forth to work everyday no problem .. Its not that big .. I'm not a road warrior so I don't need the extra battery life on the road .. But it is nice that I can easily take this to my parents house or anyone I go to visit or the off chance of a TDY for work to another state .. I can take it and use it as a normal desktop computer when I get there ..

So far its handled everything I can throw at it ..

a great review of a great piece of hardware... now to get mine modded before Quakecon..

d_jedi said:
[Begin wandering rant]
Personally, at the price point these laptops are being offered at, I don't see their appeal. I can get a desktop with better 3D performance AND a laptop with greater mobility (battery life, weight..) for the SAME PRICE as this laptop.

Granted I won't be able to frag with the laptop, but, in many cases this is a GOOD thing because it would remove the temptation of procrastinating from what I should be doing.
[End wandering rant]

Personally, I'll wait until a standard user-replaceable graphics card interface is available before I'd be willing to put down such a considerable chunk of change on one of these gaming laptops.

Although I can see your point concerning the difficulty in replacing internal laptop parts, when it all boils down to it, it just increases your modding skills when you do it anyway. Before I got my XPS, I had an Inspiron 8000 that came with a GF2Go 32mb video card that I upgraded to the next Nvidia release without problem, as well as upgrading both CPU and memory. As long as you're careful, it really isnt that difficult anymore...

GuruX said:
Definately a great article.

What I'm curious on however, is how good the response time is on the XPS. I know that on my AOpen 1557GLS barebones laptop, the response time is definately 25ms or so -- there is noticeable blurring in fast-paced FPS titles like UT2004.

Am I to assume response time is excellent since it wasn't brought up?

If I remember correctly it is a 25ms screen. I do know I asked the first time I used it a couple of months ago and was surprised as I thought it would a 20ms at the very least. But to answer your question, the LCD kicked ass in gaming and everything else.

xterminator said:
I own a trimmed down version of the XPS, the I9100. The Splinter Cell is not as bad as the benchies shown in the article. Perhaps an older catalyst was used in the review? The original driver that came with DELL do have problems with certain games. I downloaded the latest catalyst and mod the drivers with a mobility modder created by patje. Its been running great so far!

The LCD response time on this baby is great (15.4' WUXGA). I played UT2K4 with no blurring at all (20ms). Hope this info is helpful.

We did not run a Splinter Cell benchmark. What you are seeing is REAL gameplay. It has the latest driver supplied by ATI. We do test on levels that are hard on the fps as a rule.

Sojuuk said:
the price tag on that hurts my brain.

Its really not that bad .. If you configure it with 512megs ram its ~2,399.00 .. And every few weeks it seems Dell has some sort of 10% to 20% coupon you can use so its that much less .. So it actually comes out to a reasonably priced laptop for the power your getting .. You can always add ram later for cheaper than what Dell sells it for ..

Also you can opt for the 9100 if your wanting to save a few buck without really compromising performance ..

comparing the specs, the only differences are in cpu speed range, ram size range, and screen configurations. I really dont know where that extra $1000 or so is justified. interesting anyway

I too have a 9100 which is basically a little brother to the XPS. The motherboards are identical (except for the Gig ethernet and the modem chipset) so the video card upgrade for the XPS should work on the 9100. Dell may not sell it to 9100 owners but I suspect that between a little social engineering or ebay it should not be too difficult to get one.

As for performance I can not be happier, I ended up getting the 2.8GHz Chip and 1 Gig of Ram and Upgraded to the 7200 RPM HD. Worked out to $1750 US (2400 CDN) shipped so the price was not too bad at all.

Spud

The screen is rated at 30ms by Dell, but that's a little misleading because:
a. They use several different screens from different manufacturers.
b. Quoted specs are usually pretty misleading.

Anyway, the response on all the XPS's I've seen has been fine (just the same as most 15.4" widescreen panels). The screen is nothing special. Dell have been selling the same panels on the 8600 and 8500 for a year and a half. Plus, Sony's X-Brite screens are massively superior.

Over, this review strikes me as advertorial, the XPS is a pretty nasty box, and there's no need for the ridiculous size - there are plenty of other notebooks with the radeon 9700. To say that Far Cry looks particularly good on the XPS is nonsense - you have to run it at an interpolated resolution (no chance of running at 1,920 x 1,200) which never looks great. The only thing the XPS offers is a video upgrade.

That is why you get a 9100 instead with a WXGA screen. Native 1280X800 resolution and you save a wad of cash. I only use my Laptop for gaming so the loss of desktop space is not important to me.

As for price performance, at least in Canada, it is hard to beat the 9100. I shopped around and compared prices and looked at the alternatives (sager, eMachines, etc) and I could not find a compareable machine for the similar price point.

Spud911

Spud911 said:
That is why you get a 9100 instead with a WXGA screen. Native 1280X800 resolution and you save a wad of cash. I only use my Laptop for gaming so the loss of desktop space is not important to me.

As for price performance, at least in Canada, it is hard to beat the 9100. I shopped around and compared prices and looked at the alternatives (sager, eMachines, etc) and I could not find a compareable machine for the similar price point.

Spud911

Actually, the XPS scores quite a bit higher than the 9100 on 3DMark03 with the same specs.

Originally Posted by fubak
Actually, the XPS scores quite a bit higher than the 9100 on 3DMark03 with the same specs.

Same specs? As far as I know you can't get the same specs between the 2. At least on the Canadian Dell site the slowest CPU is 3.4GHz (3.2 if you go with an EE) for the XPS and the fastest 9100 is a 3.2Ghz.

XPS seem to range in the 4100 - 4200 area. My 9100 with a much slower processor gets a 3800 consistantly. For comparison my Desktop (one in sig) gets a 4100

Its not like 3dMark is a good benchmark anyways, playing games is a better indicator anyday.

Spud

Great review. I've been following the notebook scene for a few months but haven't pulled the trigger. The Sager 8790 is nice, but I still want more power in the GPU. So the only thing one can do is wait. Yes, 3dMark03 benchmarks on an 8790 are in the mid 3500s, whereas my desktop is up in the 5500s.
Check out this thread over at Notebookforums.com, the 4750 looks schweet with an AMD 3400+ inside.
http://notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t=29469

I was considering the XPS when searching for a laptop that could handle gaming, but I ran into extremenotebooks and picked up one of their models, which are Pro-Star (Clevo) notebooks.

Theirs have the 17 inch widescreen and their mobile 9700's are outfitted with 256 MB dedicated ram. They will certainly be cheaper than a similarly configured XPS (probably can't get 9700 w/ 256MB on XPS), perhaps due to the selectable software packages. You don't have to get on OS or Office Suite.

Of course, you would sacrifice the Dell Customer Support (I heard it is good) and they don't have the video upgrade option. The purpose of the post was to point out an altenative to XPS, but if I could do it again, I would do as d_jedi pondered and got a thin & light, spending the saved money on an 800XT or 6800U for my desktop. It is nice to have gaming on the go, but damn I want a 800XT.

The review was well done and showed where some of the more powerful notebooks can now take the place of the desktop with improved CPUs, chipsets, and onboard graphics, especially for us LAN gamers. Unfortunately Dell will not be considered as a purchasing source, due to both company policies and pricing of products. There are other suitable alternatives.

Is there any chance other notebook companies, H.P., Asus, Toshiba, etc have contacted HardOCP about reviewing their products and having more notebook reviews ?

As far as I know, the only other laptop (besides the only 11dayz posted) that features a 256MB Radeon 9700 would be the Voodoo m780. As far as budget gaming laptops are concerned, the only I can really think of are the Dell Inspiron 9100, and the two eMachines laptops (one has a 3000+ A64, the other a 3200+ A64).

BOXX Technologies has a 17" Widescreen laptop with a 256MB Radeon 9700 and the capability to put in (2) 7200rpm laptop drives in RAID 0. We market it as a workstation, but it sure as hell can be used for gaming.

www.boxxtech.com

The Sager notebook also has a 256meg 9700 card so in fact there are quite a few.

Actually the differeence between a SIMULAR equiped 9100 and XPS is actually only about $300-$400 .. Not $1000 like a lot of people say .. Is the extra price worth it for everyone? I'd have to say no .. But if you were going to order most of the extras anyway then yes you might as well get the XPS

The main differences between the 9100 and XPS is
-The XPS comes with a quicksnap cover
-The XPS comes with a higher processor speed
-The XPS has Gigabit ethernet
-The XPS comes with the standard XPS backpack
-The XPS has a graphics update (if purchased) that Dell will send a tech to install free of charge
-The XPS has a dedicated support queue (still a wait but I've always gotten someone speaking english that understands what I'm saying)
-The XPS has a more professional looking lid
-The XPS keyboard trim is silver and not blue

As for the screen I love the WUXGA and don't think I could go back .. Even the SXGA+ on my 8600 just doesn't seem to cut it anymore after using the XPS for a while .. Not everyone only plays games .. I can tell you working with CAD files and VISO just seems so much better on the WUXGA.

I do like the new Alienware computers that have the 9700 card but for me they are not an option.. Price for one .. Also no way I can get by sitting in on briefings (Work for the DOD) with an Alienware computer sitting on the conference table in front of me :)

Another thing you may wish to look at is the Acer 1712. True it is a huge monstrous beast, but it comes it at 1/2 the price of a XPS. It is equipped with a desktop 3ghz P4, 1GB of memory, 120 GB 7200 RPM HDD on a 4:3 17" SXGA screen powered by a FX GO 5700. The fun thing is it uses a standard 3 1/2 HDD and uses standard desktop memory so upgrading is easy. If you want to throw in your favorite 250GB 7200 RMP drive and PC433 memory go right ahead. Also it uses a removable video module and Acer has indicated plans to provide video upgrades for it.

A very nice system for $1800, I chose it over an XPS. Runs Far Cry at 1024x768 all settings on very high with no choppiness. No AA or AF though. Lots of people have had luck with OCing the video but I have yet to try.

bildad said:
Another thing you may wish to look at is the Acer 1712. True it is a huge monstrous beast, but it comes it at 1/2 the price of a XPS. It is equipped with a desktop 3ghz P4, 1GB of memory, 120 GB 7200 RPM HDD on a 4:3 17" SXGA screen powered by a FX GO 5700. The fun thing is it uses a standard 3 1/2 HDD and uses standard desktop memory so upgrading is easy. If you want to throw in your favorite 250GB 7200 RMP drive and PC433 memory go right ahead. Also it uses a removable video module and Acer has indicated plans to provide video upgrades for it.

A very nice system for $1800, I chose it over an XPS. Runs Far Cry at 1024x768 all settings on very high with no choppiness. No AA or AF though. Lots of people have had luck with OCing the video but I have yet to try.

Have you had to use their support yet?

Matt Woller said:
As far as I know, the only other laptop (besides the only 11dayz posted) that features a 256MB Radeon 9700 would be the Voodoo m780. As far as budget gaming laptops are concerned, the only I can really think of are the Dell Inspiron 9100, and the two eMachines laptops (one has a 3000+ A64, the other a 3200+ A64).

The Falcon Northwest Fragbook DR also has a 256MB Radeon 9700.

I have the i9100 and I am very pleased. The lack of Gig-E was kinda depressing at first, but I won't be going Gig-E on my home network anytime soon so I will live. My critiques are the same for the 9100 as they would be for the XPS...

I would like a model without widescreen tho. I don't watch movies on this much and I'd rather have the extra inch top-bottom that I lost when they stretched it. The only game I play on it, Final Fantasy XI, supports widescreen but not everything does or does well.

I don't like ATI clocking up the mobile 9600 and then rebadging it as the 9700. It's NOT a mobile version of a desktop 9700 card. Those 4 lost pipelines, I know when I'm missing them.

Still, for the cost, this thing is rocking. I'm using it now in a hotel room. I was in a class with some people and there were a few i9100's in there. We had a pow-wow. 8)

payed almost $1400 for my inspiron 8600.

its not a full DTR but with a 1.4ghz pentium-m and a 128m 9600 it kicks alot of ass. for those looking for save some $$ and still want pretty damn good performance out of a notebook this is a good way to go.

eviltommy said:
payed almost $1400 for my inspiron 8600.

its not a full DTR but with a 1.4ghz pentium-m and a 128m 9600 it kicks alot of ass. for those looking for save some $$ and still want pretty damn good performance out of a notebook this is a good way to go.

I too have an 8600. Purchased it about a month before the xps/9100s came out :mad: they had all kinds of specials on it that suckered me in...1.4P-M, 9600proturbo, 512mb ddr333, dvd burner, 1280x800monitor.

Aside from the craptastic speakers its a great machine(love CS in widescreen) but if i had it to do again i woulda waited on gone for the 9100, if i had only known..
the xps seems overpriced for what you get.

Originally I wasnt going to get the XPS due to the price, and I had picked out a nice config on a Sager 8790 and ordered it. Within hours I had received the 20% off coupon in my email from Dell. I figured what the hell lets go see how it wouldve turned out. I got a 3.4 P4, 128mb 9700, 1GB of DDR, 60gb 7200rpm HD, an 8X Dual layer DVD Burner, wireless LAN, Bluetooth, and an extra battery for 250 bux less than the Sager with the same config but with a 3.0 P4 and a 256mb 9700. Not to mention that the dvd burner from Sager was only a 4x. I immediately canceled the Sager and got the XPS and couldnt be happier with it. The whole trick is catching Dell with the coupons and there own sales stacking together...

Interestingly enough, all of the notebooks mentioned with the 256mb 9700 are all the same notebook made by Clevo (D870P). They're just rebadged and sold by different companies. :)

Ive seen a few mentions of sager in this thread, but i really cant sing their praise enough. The dell unit has better battery life by a bit, but as far as desktop replacements go, in my opinion, Sager is without a doubt the best.

If one goes towww.pctorque.com you can spec out a model that is identical as possible (no audigy) for 300 dollars less, with a dual battery setup to improve unplugged life. Alternatively, you can also add a second HDD (figuring on using an 80gb 5400 for both) for 2670, rather than 2500 for the dual battery setup. The screen isnt WUXGA, but is 15 inches and is UXGA. Plus, Sager has some of the best support around. Not to mention the best dead pixel policy on the market to my knowledge. All comparisons are using a DVD burner, something Dell is offereing "free."

The guys at PC Torque are very friendly and very accessible. Adam posts on the forums they run for all kinds of notebooks all the time. I highly reccomend anyone looking for a gaming laptop look at PC Torque before buying. In addition to the 5690 model i was using to compare the two, there is also the 8790, which features similar specs internally but has a 17 inch screen. The laptops are extremely high quality and have a very dedicated following.

Just some food for thought. Why pay 2800 some odd for a Dell when you can get a sager for less that has a better support policy and is cheaper? Not to mention just as fast if not faster...

robzilla said:
Although I can see your point concerning the difficulty in replacing internal laptop parts, when it all boils down to it, it just increases your modding skills when you do it anyway. Before I got my XPS, I had an Inspiron 8000 that came with a GF2Go 32mb video card that I upgraded to the next Nvidia release without problem, as well as upgrading both CPU and memory. As long as you're careful, it really isnt that difficult anymore...

how did you manage that? I have an inspiron 8100 with a gf2go and wouldn't mind upgrading the video and processor!

Check the Dell Video forums for a I8100 Service Manual link, as well as the necessary part numbers from Dell. Depending on your particular processor, LCD screen and motherboard, your upgrade options are limited, but they are existant. It took me 6 weeks of searching Ebay to find the correct 1 ghz processor to upgrade my 700mhz P3 at a decent price. Upgrading your video card is dependant on which company manufactured your LCD screen. You can find those details out from the Dell Support website where it shows the exact parts list for your notebook by the Service Code. Here's a link to get you started...

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board?board.id=insp_video

Back