• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Hard FOrums: Help analyze and Fix my pC

ssabripo

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 25, 2004
Messages
75
After trying everything that I could think of, I'm very puzzled about the behavior of my system...I've tried re-doing the artic silver Ceramique on the CPU, I've replaced the PSU, and have changed directions on a couple of the fans (to bring air into and out of case), and yet, the problem is not only NOT getting better, but actually worsening a little.

Here is the symptons:

Two weeks ago I added a DVD burner to my rig, and noticed that the temperatures in the PSU, CPU and system started rising...and whenever I play DOOM3, the system would get very hot, and in a couple of occasions it would shutoff and restart by itself, etc.

Here is my system prior to adding DVD burner:

ABIT IS7 mobo w/ P4 2.6C @ 3.4 Ghz, PSU = Austin 450W (18A in 12V+)
1 HD, 1 CD-RW, 1 Floppy, 1 ATI 9800pro, 3 case fans, 1 big Thermal Take fan for heatsink (alpha Heatsink)
No Load Temps
System: 35C
CPU: 45C
PWM: 37C
Load Temps (DOOM3)
System: 40-42C
CPU: 52-57C
PWM: 41-43C

Next, I replaced the cheapy Austin 450W with OCZ Powerstream 420W PSU (Click here for details) , and added the DVD burner (NEC 2510A).

here are the current temps:
No Load Temps
System: 37C
CPU: 50C
PWM: 39C
Load Temps (DOOM3)
System: 42-45C
CPU: 55-64C
PWM: 45-47C
:confused:

The OCZ PSU had the highest ratings in many reviews, and the 12V+ line is rated at a solid 30A, so I dont think the PSU is the problem.

I also doubt that the space that DVD burner is using up so much space as too cause this drastic of a air flow problem...as a matter of fact, I opened the case side panel, and the temperatures only dropped 2-3C, so obviously something is up.

Any Ideas and Suggestions would be appreciated
 
Back
Top