hard drive problems :eek:

MATTRESS

Gawd
Joined
Sep 26, 2003
Messages
992
so I was getting ready to format my c: drive, so I moved all my important stuff to my d: drive as backups ... to move back after I format.

After I did this, i restarted, and checkdisk automatically loaded during bootup (WinXP pro) and started checking drive d: for errors.. it fixed a few, got to step 3 of 3, said it was finished, and appeared to lockup.

so I restarted again.. now I can't access my D: drive..

When I try to use windows explorer to access the drive, it just locks up explorer... same thing happens when I open up "My Computer...


DOS:
Code:
C:\>d:
Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

C:\>

in disk management, it shows the drive as the 80gig healthy drive ... the "File system" is blank.. and it's 100% free space...... ARG.....

What can I do to fix this??
 
maxtor 80gig

this sucks, my computer doesn't have a floppy either ... guess i'll have to figure out how to make a bootable DOS cd or something..

//edit
holy crap they're finally up with the times and have a bootable CD ISO for download :D
wish me luck!
 
ya good luck
we have to make bootable cds of some programs that are on floppy...
its kinda a pain sometimes cuz the prog dont wanna get copied
 
bah, i got a big fat "Your drive is failing" message..

de656979 was the error code... why didn't S.M.A.R.T warn me :(
 
welcome to the world of bad hard drives ...i hate maxtor personally
i see a bad hard drive almost every day here
i always disable smart...but that me
see if you can rma it :D get a new one you know
good luck

oh ya..sorry bout the bad luck
i hate when a part...specially a hdd goes bad
 
meh .. good news and weird news..

good news is, i didn't MOVE the data I wanted to backup to that drive, so I still have everything, and didn't lose anything! Phew!

weird news: I deleted the partition off the "bad" hard drive, repartitioned and formated, and now I don't get any errors.

Also, I had this HDD in one of those removable HDD trays, i figured that might have been the problem so I checked it out. The HDD was SCORCHING hot... I've never felt an HDD so hot... so I cooled it off, moved it to a nice ventilated location in the case, threw the HDD tray in the garbage, and everything SEEMS to be looking good for now. I won't put any critical data on the HDD for now though..
 
Back
Top