Hard Drive Enclosure

I need a USB 2.0 3.5" Hard Drive Enclosure. Simple enough, but I want one that is bus powered, as I don't want to lug around a power adapter. I've looked at NewEgg & TugerDirect, but have had minimal luck.

I'd prefer something in the $20-40 range, relatively compact and durable.

Any suggestions?

I don't think that a usb port would put out the 12v needed for an HDD, you'll have to use an adapter. Even usb hubs some with adapters. They have 2gb usb flash drives that run off the bus though.

Sorry.

Your going to have a hard time finding one that's bus-powered. Your real option would be to get a laptop drive. It's smaller, lighter, and uses a lot less power, therefore, being bus powered.

I found this:

http://4daystar.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=145

It's for an apple powerbook drive but I don't see why it wouldn't work. But, at least what you are wanting does exist.

Try typing in "self-powered usb harddrive enclosure" in google, there are a lot of them. But, like the previous post, you'll most likely have to use a laptop drive (2.5") and I don't know if you are going to find something in your price range.

Thanks for the replies. motithejrt - you have a good point: I hadn't thought about the 12v requirement. And I'll keep looking.

Back