• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Hard Drive Cooler

Joined
Oct 19, 2004
Messages
836
I have a Lian-Li V-1000 case, with two 74gb raptors, and a 200gb western digital.
The 74 gb raptors are at top and bottom, and are at 29&30c. right in front of the fan in the full force of it (the edges).
However the 200gb wd hd, which should be cooler is not at all. it is at 41c, which is too hot. putting at the back of the 2x3 hd cages in the middle makes it hotter, and top and bottom is the same, as there are the other hds obstructinfg air flow.
therefore, what is a good hard drive cooler, which is relatively quiet?
I can chop out the back hard drive cage, and stuff the proabab;y 5.25" cooler in there....
I have all silenx 120mm fans (4 one on an xp-120) and arctic cooling gfx coolers.
So it is pretty quiet, and I don't want it getting much louder.
The zalman heatpipe? good/bad? or do I need fans? if so what is good?
also, what is a good hd temp? for high stability?
thanks alot
f
 
I've been researching this too as the rig I'm building will also have dual 74GB Raptors. I haven't decided yet but am leaning toward the Silverstone FP53 if I run into any problems with heating the drives. The FP53 has some good press and there's quite a few reviews out there. Check 'em out.
 
Does your 200GB WD have a silver or black top?

In general, the cooling requirements for Raptors are exaggerated. Raptors actually use less power than many 7200RPM drives, especially Maxtor drives. SR Power Consumption Data.

You are correct that temps above 40C are not desirable, however you are not likely to siginificantly shorten the life of the drive until you get north of 45C. You don't really need to be alarmed until temps reach 50C, and failure is imminent at temps of 55C and up.
 
Back
Top