[H]ome Theater

MaMMa

Supreme [H]ardness
I wanna start working on a home theater setup, no HTPC. Can't afford another computer now. I'm looking at a DVD/SACD player for xmas >$300. Some people recommended the Sony DVP-NC555ES. I'm looking for other recommendations to compare, anything will help, thanks!

I moved this here because the HDTV forum isn't limited to HDTV, just the name is. Anything dealing with entertainment components is welcomed here :)

i have just been reading a lot about DVD-A and SACD. Can anyone recommend a player that will play both around the same price?

350 tops, i hope not much more. I want quality and will spend the extra dime if needed. I don't want to spend too much because HD-DVD and blu-ray is around the corner.

MaMMa said:
350 tops, i hope not much more. I want quality and will spend the extra dime if needed. I don't want to spend too much because HD-DVD and blu-ray is around the corner.

Don't worry about HD-DVD and blu-ray yet. They still havent picked a standard, so "around the corner" more or less means "three to four years away"

Check out the Denon 1920, has all the features your looking for and you should easily be able to find it in your specified price range.

Id go with a denon unit.... and in the future a denon reciever. and klipsch speakers.....

your reason? any details that I should know? I'm up for all options. Let me know, thanks.

I'm guessing cause he is a denon fan (since he didn't even mention any models). I would get one of the cheaper models (from almost any brand, though I would only get no-name brands after doing extensive research on it) that had good features for the price. Its not like these things go up in value when they get older

needmorecarnitine said:
Looks like Pioneer has a DV-588A-S with a msrp of $129 that can do dvd-a/sacd

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_15020669_236572701,00.html

I had one... I returned it within a week, the sound quality was great, but the picture quality was only mediocre.

SACD playback kills off a lot of units... Personally I've always been a huge fan of Panasonic and Panasonic based players, especially at their higher end, you get the best bang for your buck, and always awesome picture quality.

The Panasonic DVD-S77s is awesome, but only does DVD-A, no SACD.

Alternatively, though a bit more expensive, you might want to check out the Yamaha DVD-C940, that will do SACD, and has similarly stellar picture quality.

Back