[H] Experts I need your opinion

samops03

Gawd
I built my system a little over a year ago, system specs are in sig. I overclocked my Q6600 to 3.0GHZ right away by changing the cpu clock speed to 333. I did not change any other settings. The system was rock solid until about a month ago when i started to get BSOD's. They would be random and sometimes my audio driver would first kick out. Other times it would BSOD on boot into Windows. Here is what i have done so far.

- Tested Ram with MEMTEST --OK
- Tested Hard Drive with WD Diags -- OK
- Pulled out Sound Card - Still BSOD

Now here is where it gets tricky!! When i bought my CPU down to 2.4ghz i stopped getting the BSOD. How could it be stable for a year on those setting and now start to BSOD all of a sudden? Anyone have any ideas?

Heat from voltage will cause the silicon to degrade over time, it's probably just needing a little extra power to get past some increased resistance with age.

Or you might have damaged the chip since you left the voltage settings on Auto which will most likely overvolt the board/CPU/RAM which is not good.

Is the cpu overheating? Reapply the heat sink. Make sure everything is clean and dust free. Did you stress test with prime95 and some others suggested on the forum?

I was able to lower the voltage on my 3GHz Q6600 to 1.29375v to keep the heat down. That might be a bit late though.

The CPU is not overheating and i dont think the chip is damaged since it runs fine at 2.4Ghz
Should i run Prime95 while the CPU is at 2.4?

Back