[H]ardest Mini-ITX build... ever - igloo Little Playmate Ultra Cooler Case

dwegiel

n00b
Specs:
Motherboard: HP/Asus MOCA-AR Calcite Mini-ITX (approx $20 ebay)
Processor: Intel Core T2400, 1.83Ghz, laptop/mobile 478m/479 socket. Cost: $5 on ebay
Heatsink: Startech socket 370/A heatsink. Cost: $8
Ram: perfectly matched mobile ddr2, 1GBx2, one 667mhz (salvaged from netbook), one 533mhz (purchased back in the day for $20).
Graphics: Intel GMA 950, integrated
Sound card: Integrated (maybe alc889 or something similar?)
Hard drive: Samsung HS081HA 80gb 3600RPM, 80gb iPod classic salvage
ODD: none
PSU: 8 year old+ Enertec Corportation 300W Intel ATX spec 2.03, $10 ebay (380w raidmax seen in pictures, it was a temp pull from my friend's desktop).
Case: igloo Little Playmate Ultra (salvaged from my 10 year old lunchbox/cooler/box/whatnot).

Now what you have been waiting for... the pictures!
q12yD.jpg

XnNda.jpg

MHFTj.jpg

wP11L.jpg

Best case ever. Idle temps:
3Z4BrM.png

Full load hasn't been tested because this is meant to work as a server/media box, so no need for stress!

Coolers like these are amazing for itx builds. The more recent elite series can probably easily hold a gtx580 or 6990 without issues.

But on a more serious note, I desperately need funds to finish this build, along with my other itx build (celeron g530, apex mi008, radeon 4650 1gb) due to recent issues with my bank account refusing to connect to my paypal. Any help is much appreciated, and if you would like to donate, please drop me a private message. Many thanks, and I know that I'm an extreme noob, but I've privately built and modded pcs, laptops, and the like for about 4 years.

Thanks for viewing my thread!

Thanks! Btw, the hard drive just failed, its in the freezer as of right now. Hopefully I'll get some data off it. Guess that's what happens when you have a zif to 2.5 ide adapter, then that to a 3.5 adapter, then that to sata -___- FML

Thanks for posting this; I snagged one of those MOCA motherboards for dirt cheap as well. New firewall box, here we come!

They're pretty good... when they work. The BIOS on them sucks in terms of everything. It's literally laptop-ed.

How'd you mount the heatsink/what did you use as the heatsink?

Thanks! Btw, the hard drive just failed, its in the freezer as of right now. Hopefully I'll get some data off it. Guess that's what happens when you have a zif to 2.5 ide adapter, then that to a 3.5 adapter, then that to sata -___- FML

holy hell that actually worked? I though i was crazy using a AT to ps/2 adapter then a ps/2 to usb adapter. to use a IBM mechanical keyboard. It never really did work, but I'm impressed you got your adapter chain working. I love complex, convoluted solutions to problems. :D

AT - PS/2 + PS/2 to USB (male connector not usb female). :eek:

They're pretty good... when they work. The BIOS on them sucks in terms of everything. It's literally laptop-ed.

How'd you mount the heatsink/what did you use as the heatsink?

I just purchased the motherboard after seeing your thread, and as such, do not have it on-site to test yet. I am paring mine with 4GB of DDR2 from an old laptop, a 1.5 GHz Core 2 Duo, a 16GB SSD from the hot deal section, and possibly an old socket 370 hsf.

Back