[H]ardcore Video Cooling

DangerIsGo

2[H]4U
Ok, so im planning on getting either a 7800 GTX (or future 7800 Ultra) in the near future and would want to OC it insanely. Now, I really dont want to spend a lot of money on expensive water/liquid nitrogen/liquid metal cooling systems when im still sticking with air for right now (unless theres a really good inexpensive water etc... cooling system). But at the same time, I want it to be, well, flashy. The Quadro 4500's 4 heatpipe stock cooling solution caught my eye and I would want to upgrade to something like that, but becuase its a stock heatsink, I heard they dont OC well. Is there a showy heatpipe or other kind of heatsink out there that you guys would recommend? Basically I dont want to spend an arm and a leg, but I also want to get decent OCing ability. What about the new ACS3 cooling thats on the new eVGA 7800GTX card? How does that peform? THanks

From all the reviews/pictures I've seen, they all use the reference cooler which covers the core and memory. And they all seem to get close to the same oc of 490/1300 +/- 50mhz on ram. I don's see a reason to look into additional cooling just yet.

My stock cooler got me to 515/1485...going to water only gained me ~30 MHz on the core. Load temps are a chilly 42C...

Anyway, a better cooler isn't necessary, IMO as you will only gain ~15MHz at the most on the core with air. If you go to water, be prepared to do a vmod cos these things really do run quite cool on water.

Ether said:
My stock cooler got me to 515/1485...going to water only gained me ~30 MHz on the core. Load temps are a chilly 42C...

Anyway, a better cooler isn't necessary, IMO as you will only gain ~15MHz at the most on the core with air. If you go to water, be prepared to do a vmod cos these things really do run quite cool on water.

Thats good to know, I'm getting a 7800gtx in the next few weeks. BTW, what gpu block did you use?

Ether said:

that is some overlock with the mem!

i would try for higher than what i have now, but no need... any games runs fine as of now..

is it confirmed that there is going to be a 7800 ultra? I thought the GTX was to be the top card for this generation?

Well if you want a heatpipe solution check out the thermalright v-1 :) dunno if it will be flashy enough for you.

Otherwise most people go with a zalman cf-700 it seems.

Anime_Fan said:
Well if you want a heatpipe solution check out the thermalright v-1 :) dunno if it will be flashy enough for you.

Otherwise most people go with a zalman cf-700 it seems.

its actually VF ;)

The reason I think there is going to be an Ultra becuase of the specifications of the R520. If it does what articles say its supposed to do, it will definitely clean out the 7800GTX so nVidia has to come up with something better, namely an Ultra version of their GeForce 7 series. I mean its just common sense to think that nVidia is waiting for ATI's next move before relaseing something even better. Becuase if they release it now, ATI can delay it again, redo their card to beat nVidia Ultra. Even though nVidia hasnt officially said anything, I have a good feeling that theres going to be one.

So your all saying just use the stock HSF? Whats a good inexpensive water/liquid nitro/liquid metal cooling system out there that will do CPU, 2xvid cards and possibly memory?

Asian Dub Foundation said:
its actually VF ;)

Damnit I knew I was forgetting something ;)

@danger

Most kits suck balls, you should build your own wc setup just research your tastes and find various parts that fit your budget. You should be able to find tubing cheap at a local hardware store. Dangerden has a sli waterblock setup for sli rigs its big $$$ though. Course if you can afford a 7 series sli setup you probably could care less LOL.

peltiers = need a dedicated powersupply... not worth the effort IMHO

just get a good air cooler like the vf700 by zalman or the vf-1 by thermalright (oh so pretty)

Peltiers are a whole lot of work, and likely wouldn't get you more than 15mHz over water, unless you got a really good card like Shamino and Fugger and all the other top OCers somehow always get. If you want to think about peltiers in the future, then build a loop with a big radiator now and get a gpu block that works with and without peltiers, otherwise look at straight water or a good hsf. Then again, you should probably see if you even need anything more than the stock cooler, as some cards will run very cool even OC'd pretty high, while others simply won't OC very much at all.

If you want to see how the ACS3 coos, then wait a couple days until [H] gets sobered up after Quakecon enough to review the ACS3 card they got from EVGA a while ago.

ikellensbro said:
Peltiers are a whole lot of work, and likely wouldn't get you more than 15mHz over water, unless you got a really good card like Shamino and Fugger and all the other top OCers somehow always get. If you want to think about peltiers in the future, then build a loop with a big radiator now and get a gpu block that works with and without peltiers, otherwise look at straight water or a good hsf. Then again, you should probably see if you even need anything more than the stock cooler, as some cards will run very cool even OC'd pretty high, while others simply won't OC very much at all.

If you want to see how the ACS3 coos, then wait a couple days until [H] gets sobered up after Quakecon enough to review the ACS3 card they got from EVGA a while ago.

shamin and fugger volt mod like maniacs dont they?

i too am waiting on ACS3, its got a cooper heatsink rather than ALU. so that should be a big benfit there, like the xp90-c was :D

As you said before, the thermalright V-1 looks really nice. How does that perform? How much does it cost and where can i get one? Ill also wait on the ACS3 from [H]ardOCP's review to see how that fares. Also, can the V-1 work in SLI (Board = Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe)? And also, would this cooler work on the 7800GTX?

Back