Gygabyte is selling more than Asus.

It certainly looks like a similar issue, but on the ASUS board the 4 sticks of memory would run fine at 800 MHz. It looks like in this case people are even having issues running at the standard 1333/1600 MHz settings. Someone did post a fix that looks to work, though. When I was trying to get the ASUS to run the 4 sticks at 1066 MHz I tried all kinds of tweaking to both system clocks, memory clocks and timings, and voltages all to no avail. My current system on the Z87X-UD3H is only using 2 sticks of 8GB running at 1600 MHz, and I don't see the need to add another 16GB any time soon.

on my Asus hero my 16gb of memory runs fine as 2400 speeds (PC3 19200). I don't think it's an Asus Specific issue.

Can you post a link to that story. Asus doesn't sell only to enthusiasts, I believe that they also sell to OEMs. Same could be true for Gigabyte. One OEM deal could be worth hundreds of thousands of boards a year.

Gigabyte has been OEMing for Lenovo for years. Lenovo gets big, Gigabyte gets big.

Today I read a news that says that Gigabyte is selling more than Asus.

Quiete a bit strange...

What do you think about that?

Is that just "aftermarket" boards that we buy or does it include "OEM" boards that go into vomit boxes, aka Dell, HP, etc? Because a HUGE percentage of their boards go into OEM boxes so if there was a supply shift somewhere that could account for the change in sales numbers.

I know what you mean. Just built 2 rigs for friends and despite saying in this very thread that I want to try Gigabyte, I went with Asus. I guess I just trust them more and ain't ready to jump ship just yet.

I haven't had to use Asus RMA personally since 2003 but was impressed by them then. I had scratched my board putting a fan in and Asus repaired the board at no cost to me. I have used MSI once a couple years ago and it was terrible. I got hung up on 3 times in 4 days and put on hold over 30 minutes each time. Then when I finally got through they tried to tell me that the all in one wasn't in warranty even though I had the bill saying it was.

I have to be honest and say I have been sticking with Asrock for the last 3 years or so. I have 2 boards that are working well in my desktops. I just built a mITX system with an Asrock board and the thing works great. (A10-7700K AMD APU.)

I was tempted to get a Asus board last year but TigerDirect store I went to did not have what I wanted. Therefore, I just did not buy anything at that time and then ended up with an Asrock 990FX Extreme 9 a few months later.

With Abit gone which was my board of choice Gigabyte is the only board I'll bother with now.
Built a core2duo for my dad over 5 years ago with my first Gigabyte, EP45-UD3R and it's been solid, not a single issue yet so I went Gigabyte with my latest Haswell build.

Any questions I needed answered from Gigabyte were quickly answered usually within a day.

This sounds identical to me, except switch out "dad" for "wife" and you have my experience.

And just because, my old Q6600+Abit iP35-Pro are still rocking as one of my kids personal gaming rig. :D

Easy to believe but times have changed. Gigabyte is very innovative, first ones to come out with solid caps.
I might be a rarity ... but in 15+ years I have used Asus exclusively for personal builds and have had zero issues with CS.

I also have used Gigabyte for budget minded customers and family, and have had a equally good experience with them.

Oh, and I have been around long enough to remember when Gigabyte was considered cheap, low quality and had terrible CS.

For some of you youngins that will be hard to believe, but its true.

Better than comparable build quality/CS and pricing.
Does anyone else also prefer Gigabyte due to their lower pricing and (in my opinion) very comparable quality?

I had an IP35-E with Q6600 overclocked to 3.6 ghz 24x7. Those were the days! Since Abit were out I switched to Giga and have been very happy. Gigabyte>Asus anyday!
This sounds identical to me, except switch out "dad" for "wife" and you have my experience.

And just because, my old Q6600+Abit iP35-Pro are still rocking as one of my kids personal gaming rig. :D

This is all the funny thing about motherboards, cause a bad one is such a hair-pulling pain in the ass.

You can have a shitty this or that and that's one thing, but have one experience with a shitty motherboard and it's enough to make you punch the thing in the reset button and never buy that brand again. I don't think there's another single part that's more factional brand-wise than motherboards.

Do not ask if I've actually punched a motherboard either because it makes me feel dumb and I will not answer truthfully.

I was a devout Gigabyte fan for years until a DS3 died on me and took the CPU with it, it was a Q6600 that I'd just bought that day. I tried to RMA it and they refused to replace the board. i went i7 after that with the 920 on an asus p6x58de and never looked back.

I've always preferred and recommended ASUS motherboards for 15 years until I had a bad CS experience while trying to RMA my motherboard for a sound card failure that was not even a year old. I like their products, but they definitely need to improve their RMA process and CS before I'll buy from them or even recommend ASUS again. I'm actually glad to hear that their motherboard competitors are beating them in sales. Let's see how ASUS will respond at this rate...

I've always preferred and recommended ASUS motherboards for 15 years until I had a bad CS experience while trying to RMA my motherboard for a sound card failure that was not even a year old. I like their products, but they definitely need to improve their RMA process and CS before I'll buy from them or even recommend ASUS again. I'm actually glad to hear that their motherboard competitors are beating them in sales. Let's see how ASUS will respond at this rate...

Sad but common enough situation in a lot of businesses. I have been a loyal ASUS customer for probably 20 years now. I never had any issues until last year, when I had to RMA the same board twice to get it fixed. To their credit, ASUS did not dispute the second RMA and turned the board around in less than 2 weeks. But the bigger issue to me is why I had to do that second RMA.

For ASUS' sake, I hope they wake up to this situation before their competition eats their lunch and their dinner. I really like their products.

x509

Last edited:
The ASUS reps we have on this board are awesome, but the RMA CS is an absolute nightmare.

I've never had any issues with ASUS or their support. Gigabyte is one of the only motherboards that ever completely died on me, and it was like a month out of warranty to boot. I would buy from either today, though, as I consider both to be quality vendors. It would come down to price, features, and availability, really.

well you gota figure this board is full of guys like me, and many more who don't use the board who are tired of the hassles of asus CS

i cut out Asus at 2 computer shops i worked in, then an office of 120 people, then an office of 50 and and office of 45 im in now...not to mention countless builds for myself, friend and family...that all adds up

I don't find these discussions terribly useful. There's nothing to stop motherboard makers from posting FUD and personal anecdotes are next to useless for judging RMA rates.

I've bought boards from Gigabyte, Foxconn, Asus, MSI, Biostar, and Intel. I haven't had a problem since the capacitor plague.

I'd love to see a link with where you got your numbers. This says ASUS sold more boards than GBT in 2013, and GBT is only slightly ahead in Q1 of 2014. I think you just have a bias against ASUS for whatever reason and wanted to troll about it.

I seem to buy a lot more gigabyte now days, its funny because back in the K62 days I banned gigabyte because they had a motherboard that killed gaming with voodoo cards. It was probably some horrid drivers. But they wouldnt replace or refund so I was stuck with that comp. So I didn't touch them for like 5+ years. But now days it seems it is Asus with the lower quality and bad support. And gigabyte has won more mobo purchases from me. So really this isn't surprising takes a while but eventually doing decent work pay off.

Back