Guitar in

stevedave

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Mar 6, 2007
Messages
5,737
I want to record my guitar into my computer and I need a sound card that has an input for the fat input 1/4" I think is the size. I used a converter to change it from fat to small but it doesn't produce good sound quality.

What program is best for editing and creating music? I have only herd of two Pro tools and fruity loops but haven't used either.

And lastly are there any external sound cards via USB?
 
The impedance of the guitar and the signal level are not compatible with a simple line in on a soundcard. I personally record all the time. I have a line out from my Marshall going to a Mixer and then to the sound card. This way I can control the signal level all along the audio chain. Now, alot of modern effects devices will have asimple line_out that you can connect to a PC. I use Adobe audition..mainly becasue I was using it back when it was cool edit.
Do you have a amp?
 
Yeah I have 3 amps I will probably use my Marshall it has the best sound quality. I don't have a mixer though.
 
You can also get a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter. But yeah, it's only going to be a headache plugging your gitter :)D) directly into your sound card.
 
yeah did the 1/8 adapter and it didn't sound very good, but the 1/4 without the adapter might sound the same. Too poor for a mixer right now they a bit on the pricy side.
 
You don't need a mixer. You need a preamp. Do you have any effect or amps that allow you to connect headphones? This may be a way to get a usable signal to the soundcard. IF you have any devices with a line level signal out, that would be the best to use. My amplifier also has a Headphone and line_out so I could use either to connect to the PC..
What do you have for effects and Amps? what do you have for gear?
 
http://www.crateamps.com/html/product.cfm?pid=29#

I have this amp and it has a audio out for headphones. I could get a usable signal from this but I want a sound card with a 1/4" input so i don't have to use a 1/8" converter. I saw a video card with a 1/4 input at frys about 5 months ago but it's not there anymore and I'm not having any luck looking online either.
 
Assuming you are talking electric guitar you don't really want to plug it straight in. Even if you get a device that matches everything up electrically it will sound flat, and lifeless in general. The amplifier contributes a lot to the sound character of an electric guitar. So you want to do one of two things:

1) Record your amp. Just place a mic near the amp's speaker. This is how it is generally done professionally. Surprisingly, you can get good results with a reasonable mic. The Shure SM57 sounds quite good for most electric guitar and is less than $100.

2) Get an amp simulator, like Guitar Rig. This software will handle the convolution of the amp, speaker and mic to make it sound as though you'd recorded from the real deal. Wonderful quality and flexibility, just more expensive. If you do that, you'll still need something to connect it ot the soundcard.
 
@Sycraft, Do you personally use Guitar Rig? I have been thinking of getting it but I figured it would have latency etc so I didn't think it would be worth it. Alot of people say no and it is a good product.
@stevedave, you can connect up the audio out to the line in. If your lucky your amp may have a built in cabinet simulator for the headphones. Alot of people swear by mic'ing the amp as was mentioned but you need extra gear etc. Easiest way is to do what your thinking.
if you think you want to continue with the home studio buy the needed gear to get the better sounds. Mixer, Mic's and effects etc. I like being able to record whatever I like so when my freinds show up and want to jam we can throw down some pretty cool tracks very easily.
it is nice being able to record righ into the PC, basically I have a home studio...
 
I use the front panel on my X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS to record with my guitar. Works nicely, but don't use creative software, only drivers.
 
Guitar Rig is like 500 bucks way too expensive for the me. 100 dolor mic will work. What kind of cable does the mic use 1/4 like guitar or 1/8 like computer sound card.
 
Umm... any creative card with a front panel (anything Platinum) will accept 1/4" in. (Though if you crank up the input knob all the way on the Audigy Platinum it's HORRIBLY HORRIBLY distorted. At medium level it sounds fine.) Maybe the X-fi platinum is better in this respect, but I wouldn't know because the damn thing doesn't work with my motherboard.
 
@Sycraft, Do you personally use Guitar Rig? I have been thinking of getting it but I figured it would have latency etc so I didn't think it would be worth it. Alot of people say no and it is a good product.

I do but not for live work as I'm not a guitar player. However it does seem to be designed with live use as a consideration, as they have pedals and such for that purpose. I'd guess with a decent machine and a low latency soundcard you should have little enough latency you don't notice.
 
There are lots of card made for production purposes. Some have line level inputs. Some have mic inputs with preamps some have XLR inputs some have insturment inputs such as guitar. There are lots of great cards out there. You can use what you have for now. Usually recording guys want interfaces that can handle 24 bit @ 96khz, how many tracks you can record and what you can interface to is a matter of the card itself...
 
Hey there,

I purchased the Soundblaster X-FI Fatal1ty several months to a year back and have been using it to plug directly into.

Alot of my friends are surprised the quality I can get out of it. I can plug strate in with a guitar and bass, Though bass sounds for the most part a bit lifeless unless first passed through my fender bass amp then lineout into the card.

It works great and is hassle free and I have recorded many things very sloppy that to this day sound good to me,

So thats a solution.

I use creative software, Just the record in audio creation mixer when Im lazy
Or Cubase SX 3.0

I have mixer and behringer vocalizer pro and pedals and stuff but I dont really find there any problem with this solution


I plan to improve upon it someday but I just bought a Vigier Marilyn Standard for about 1700$ 2004 Edition Number 216....

Its on its way by air mail now from a friend,
Next purchase will be a marshall amp setup
Then a nice microphone

After that I will work on improving my ins and outs and mixers and other crap like that..

Keep it simple I say and it sounds great... Private me if you ever need help with anything audio and computer related, Its what I now live for since boring myself to death of 3D games since I was 11 years old via PC and other avenues.


Sycraft: Are you the same one who programmed those awesome doom remakes? :)
I have those on my foobar2000 playlist, both 2.0 and 4.0, to this date, and have for many years.

Bravo,

And hails to all here ist krieg :)
 
Hey there,

I purchased the Soundblaster X-FI Fatal1ty several months to a year back and have been using it to plug directly into.

Alot of my friends are surprised the quality I can get out of it. I can plug strate in with a guitar and bass, Though bass sounds for the most part a bit lifeless unless first passed through my fender bass amp then lineout into the card.

It works great and is hassle free and I have recorded many things very sloppy that to this day sound good to me,

So thats a solution.

I use creative software, Just the record in audio creation mixer when Im lazy
Or Cubase SX 3.0

I have mixer and behringer vocalizer pro and pedals and stuff but I dont really find there any problem with this solution


I plan to improve upon it someday but I just bought a Vigier Marilyn Standard for about 1700$ 2004 Edition Number 216....

Its on its way by air mail now from a friend,
Next purchase will be a marshall amp setup
Then a nice microphone

After that I will work on improving my ins and outs and mixers and other crap like that..

Keep it simple I say and it sounds great... Private me if you ever need help with anything audio and computer related, Its what I now live for since boring myself to death of 3D games since I was 11 years old via PC and other avenues.


Sycraft: Are you the same one who programmed those awesome doom remakes? :)
I have those on my foobar2000 playlist, both 2.0 and 4.0, to this date, and have for many years.

Bravo,

And hails to all here ist krieg :)

QFT!

I upgrade my X-Fi Xtreme Music by adding the Drive Bay and it in fact does record great for it's price Range. I too use the Music Creation Mode complete with effects and it is damned nice as well. Nothing like a hands on. I'm a beginner Guitar player but have played Bass for years, along with Tuba and Baritone. Trickier to set up for Bass but works well but these X-Fis love Guitars and Keyboards. I wasn't that impressed until my bud brought over his Les Paul! Surprised him as well LOL! My Cheap Washburn just sounded, well, Cheap:( Active pick-ups sound better on these as well and that's no Scheisse.
 
I have a full home recording setup. 12 channel Powered mixer, Marshal amp. Digitech Multi effects until. Amp modelling. I have quite a few stomp box's actually just bought a new one today. Shure Mic's I get good jams going every now and again in the summer. NExt thin I will be buying a is a Drum mic'ing kit. We will be moving to a house in the country soon and the basment has two large rooms. I was looking at it with my wife and she say's "hmm, I guess you get your recording studio now huh"? -Gotta love that women. I have so many software based effects to use with recordings I cannot even count them all. It's nice to have a home recording set-up. So simple to get great sounding tracks laid down with a PC.
 
I'm still to young to afford a recording studio......or a house. But I can afford the X-FI Fatal1ty to hook the good ole telacaster up to. Tried to teach myself how to play 2 years ago and hit a platue and stoped playing, just started playing again last month still suck just as bad but I have more time to play now that I'm out of college. Just finished learning Ken's theme song from street fighter want to record it bad.
 
It's so easy to record into a PC and mix and master the music that anybody can do it.
Yeah, the studio is in the back of my mind. Mainly for myself and some local bands I am connected to. Nice large room to work with. I am not sure how it's goona be laid out but I have alot of room to work with. I just picked up a new stomp box today. Digitech Death Metal -nice screaming distortion...:cool:
 
Yeah
I actually want to get something like that for Death Metal, Or Black Metal

This bose pedal I have a feeling wont cut it with the vigier I am about to receive.
window.php


That thing...

Studio is always on my mind, What I have now is basically an unoptimized, Cluttery -- and not used to its fullest extent as often as it should be, Mess.

And though the ideas and components are for the most part well chosen,
I need to get my personal act together and seriously start going to work regular and on-time if I am to consider anything beyond what I have now, But nevertheless, What I have now I am satisfied, content and well off working with overall.

The thing with me is if I am going to buy something its got to be the best, or the Price to Preformance equivilent. I never cut corners because to me that is not worth it, Then you will always have something to upgrade to.

My philosophy is this, If you can, Live cheap and earnest, Avoid doing drugs and alcohol as much as you can, Avoid eating out because its so convineant to do so and blow half your pay check in one week. Save up a couple paychecks worth of the after-funds, And you will be able to almost afford anything you wish, Component wise, One or two parts at a time. Get the best, Enjoy it, Take care of it and You can build yourself the perfect setup/studio/enviroment tailored to as far as your creativity and mind can stretch... and do things others simply cannot imagine, With ease.

Like another poster said, Its very easy to do all of this, Anyone can do it.

And in the long run you may be doing yourself a bigger favor then you could imagine, Real life is grim and boring, Take it from me, There is no value in working long and hard for endless bills and turnovers and costs that amount to nothing in the end, Get what you want now, Work, And enjoy your life - Make use of your mind and do the most you can with it.
 
If using a PC as the central recorder in the chain, you can get a recording setup going very easily and cheaply. The mixer is a nice add-on I have that connected to my primary soundcard then I have a another soundcard for adding effects on the channels inserts. Good use for a old soundcard -Realtime digital effects.:cool:
 
Back
Top