Guess they aren't kidding about the name firestick

RogueTrip

2[H]4U
I picked up a 2nd gen firestick tv last friday when best buy was selling them for 20 bucks.

A mere week and a day later I play some hulu on it (barely used it during the week) and the device just shuts down and tv shows no signal. I start it up again and 10 mins later it shuts off again.

Ultimately I got it working finally after pointing my small personal fan at. Damn thing gets hot.
It's not that hot in the room. Around 70F inside. Weather shows 68F outside.

Tried to fix it but didn't work
- 2.85 amp phone charger ( was using official wall charger with it originally)
- 2.4 and 5ghz wifi networks
- google dns

Currently torn if it should be returned for another or just pop the casing and putting some heatsinks on it. Maybe return and mod new one.

Anyways. Maybe this post will help the next sucker with one of these things.

I've had multiple for years. Gen 1 and gen 2 and fire TV's. Haven't had a single failure. And they get used regularly. Maybe yours is defective.

Do you guys watch hulu on yours?

Watching prime on it now with no fan and have not seen a problem yet. Maube hulu pushes it harder. I seen post in other forums about hulu and kodi causing shutdowns.

Probably gonna reset and try to exchange this week.

Tonight i popped the case off my firestick to measure the temp. Highest temp looked to be 116F. Im sure with the case on adds a few more degrees. Probably thermal shut down. I can barely touch the stick with the case lol with those temps.

Probably gonna toss some heatsinks and thermal pads on this thing.

all things built have a chance of being a shitty one, mostly assembly line stuff. I would return it, and judge the product not on just that single instance but how customer support treats you.

Plus it's Amazon, if you bought it from Amazon they are SUPER fast in returns.

Stop futzing around, run back to BB and exchange it for one that isn't broken.

I've never had to worry about mine; just plugged it in and haven't touched it since. I've probably had it for a year.

Never have touched the Alexa button though...

I have seen overheating on a Gen 1 firestick, but that was only when I was loading Kodi on it over and over again for some experimentation. If it gets that hot under normal use, I would suggest exchanging it at BB if it is not a terrible inconvenience.

Back