• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

GTX 280 FTW died

next-Jin

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Mar 29, 2006
Messages
7,403
I no longer get any signal from the card but the fan spins up fine and from what I can tell the PC passes POST without giving me any audiable errors.

Anything I might be able to try to fix it like putting the bastard in the oven or something? I replaced it with a 5770 in my wifes PC but still it's a GTX 280 FTW edition lol.
 
Yea, you could try baking it. Someone already had sucess reviving their Zotac GTX 280 through the bakery method on another forum.

Isn't it an Evga card? Why cant you just RMA?
 
I paid 700 dollars last June I think? I dunno the day they came out I had it. I doubt the warranty is still valid, might look it up though when I get home. I registered it on EVGA's website so I'll look into it. If I do get a new 285 that would be awesome because I would sell it in a heart beat lol
 
I paid 700 dollars last June I think? I dunno the day they came out I had it. I doubt the warranty is still valid, might look it up though when I get home. I registered it on EVGA's website so I'll look into it. If I do get a new 285 that would be awesome because I would sell it in a heart beat lol

why would you sell it? It's better than what you were using(depending on the clocks you get)
 
if you registered it on evga's website within 30 days of purchase, you have a lifetime warranty and it should be a no hassle process
 
Lifetime warranty :p even if you didn't register within 30 days, email them I'm sure they will at least try to help you.
 
why would you sell it? It's better than what you were using(depending on the clocks you get)

Because it sounds like someone blow drying my hair an inch from my face. And yes I know about EVGA Precision.

It'll be money for other upgrades much more substantial than going from a 5770 to a GTX 280.
 
Lifetime warranty, assuming it's one of the lifetime SKUs. There's also the 1 year "if you don't register" term, as well as 2 year, 3 year, and 90 days in the case of their refurb/B-stock units.

I'd RMA the card if there's still a valid warranty. Sell the return card and get something else if the noise bothers you that much, IMO. Personally, I'd only bake it if I didn't have coverage, it was too old to bother, and so forth..
 
RMA it. If it's a FTW edition, it's 99% likely it's got a lifetime warranty. That's one of their 'elite' bracket products. Call or email first to be sure but I think EVGA got your back on this one.
 
Damn, they got it and are shipping out a GeForce GTX 285 2GB SC to replace the GeForce GTX 280 FTW Edition. They never said what the problem was though.
 
Damn, they got it and are shipping out a GeForce GTX 285 2GB SC to replace the GeForce GTX 280 FTW Edition. They never said what the problem was though.

Are you keeping it or selling?
 
uyasgfuagfuadsfusadm, I woulda gave you $200. lol
 
^ I click this thread and was just going to make that joke. Sigh.

ps: sucks about your card though :(
 
Back
Top