GT520 as PhysX card

Jeffman

Gawd
Hey!

So, my dad was trying to do gaming on a GT520 he bought, think it would be good because it had 2GB of ram. :rolleyes:

Needless to say, that didn't work out so well for him. I gave him a 560Ti I had lying around, and he's been really happy with that. He still has the GT520 kicking, and instead of letting it sit and collect dust, I though maybe I should tell him to use it as a dedicated PhysX card.

He mostly plays Farcry 2, and is waiting for Farcry 3 to release. He does play a few other games, I've loaded his Steam library with some for him. The only one he has that I know that will use a PhysX card is Metro 2033.

Is there any reason to have him use that GT520 for PhysX? Should I just take it from him and use it in a HTPC build somewhere down the road instead?

Is it really worth all the extra power/heat/noise for the 3 games that use it?

It might be worth the try for Metro 2033. Personally, I'd give it a shot just because I like testing stuff out.

After I played through Metro, though, I'd probably get rid of it or put it to use elsewhere. In my opinion, there just aren't enough games that make use of PhysX to keep a dedicated card in your system.

Honestly, I don't think he'll care about the heat/power/noise. If there isn't going to be much of a benefit I'm not going to bother.

I might put it in and see happens anyway, though. I like to test stuff out too...

a gt520 would make a pretty poor physx card and not worth fooling with for the 1 game a year that may even have optional hardware physx. and Metro 2033 uses the least amount of physx effects of any hardware physx game. just use the gt520 for a better purpose if you can.

test it yourself but I bet the gtx560ti can handle graphics and physx just as well as trying to offload physx onto the gt520.

Last edited:
Back