Green Light Specials + free shipping @ geeks.com

beowulf7

[H]F Junkie
For today and tomorrow (9/17-18/05), geeks.com is offering free shipping. Also, until 6 p.m. EST today, they're running the Green Light Specials. This is a good time to stock up on cables, etc. that are normally offered for a low price but have a high shipping cost.

The green light specials go to 3pm PT (6PM ET), about another hour to go.

The Sizzling Sunday sale starts tomorrow at 4PM PT (7PM ET) which is usually better than the daily green light deals.

The FAR Audiovox 2 way radios are gone. :p I picked up those and about $130 in other stuff earlier today.

They have a decent case for $15 with free shipping. I ordered 2 to house my servers.

They also have the omnifi dms1 music streamer for $50 with a USB wireless adapter to boot.

Does anyone know if that thing is 'nix or windows? ie, does it share via SMB (windows networking) or something open source?

Here's some more deals, be sure to try out the 10% off coupon code to see if it qualifies

refurb: Gateway Intel 915G Socket 775 Barebones System $72 shipped free: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=GW7200-BB&cat=BBK

refurb: Gateway Intel 915G Socket 775 Barebones System with floppy $77 shipped free: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=GW7130-BB&cat=BBK

300-Ft CAT5e Cable Kit with Crimper + Connectors $19.99 shipped: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CAT5E-300-30U&cpc=SCH&srm=0

10% off coupon codes: SLICKDEALS or FATWALLET (use all caps, thx working, Bullitt & beowulf7)

for the Cat5e cable i have a huh. You can't go up with these cables only horizontal?

# Notes:
# RJ-45 Connectors are packed inside of cable box
# CM or CMG (general purpose): Cables may be used only within a single floor, i.e.
# in the horizontal run. May not be used to penetrate floors or ceilings, nor used
# in air handling spaces.

Qwertyman said:
for the Cat5e cable i have a huh. You can't go up with these cables only horizontal?

# Notes:
# RJ-45 Connectors are packed inside of cable box
# CM or CMG (general purpose): Cables may be used only within a single floor, i.e.
# in the horizontal run. May not be used to penetrate floors or ceilings, nor used
# in air handling spaces
just a disclaimer for certain building codes and ordinances, has to do with businesses mostly.

for the case/SFF modders out there...
2.5->3.5 ATAPI adapter takes those notebook HDD's and slimline CD/DVD drives to use a normal PATA interface. $3.75 and free shipping and 10% off, makes this one a smoking deal. Normally I see these go for $10 apiece.

They came to $3.38 apiece and free shipping.
Oh, fatwallet code worked for me as well.

SJetski71 said:
Here are some more deals, be sure to try out the 10% off coupon code: slick deals to see if they qualify (?)

refurb: Gateway Intel 915G Socket 775 Barebones System $72 shipped free: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=GW7200-BB&cat=BBK

refurb: Gateway Intel 915G Socket 775 Barebones System with floppy $77 shipped free: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=GW7130-BB&cat=BBK
Geeks.com said:
Features/Specifications:

* Gateway Intel 915G Socket 775 Barebones System

* General Features:
* Grade B
* NO CPU
* NO RAM
* NO hard drive
* NO optical drive
* NO floppy drive
* Power button
* Power LED
* Memory card reader
* 305-watt power supply included
* Easy slide on drive bays
At least it has a power button included :D so you get a mobo, case and a PSU for $72.

SJetski71 said:
Here are some more deals, be sure to try out the 10% off coupon code: slick deals to see if they qualify (?)

300-Ft CAT5e Cable Kit with Crimper + Connectors $19.99 shipped: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CAT5E-300-30U&cpc=SCH&srm=0

10% off coupon code: slick deals or slickdeals (?)

Actually, the code is "slickdeals" (one word). I'm not sure if case matters, but I was able to use it when typed in ALL CAPS.

I also saw that "fatwallet" would work, too (at least in ALL CAPS).

I wound up getting some round cables, case lighting, a mouse, and keyboard. :cool:

awesome, got in with 20 minutes to go.. thanks for the heads up man..

been needing an ide 2.5 -> 3.5 converter for months, just refused to pay 2.99 for one off ebay, and another 18.00 for shipping..

SJetski71 said:
I got that computer today. It's in pretty decent condition: a few scratches on the top and side, and a small dent on the bottom of the side panel. The damage was probably caused by stacking on a pallet. The inside is almost mint condition, no dust except a little on the heatsink duct.

It came with a modem, SATA cable and LGA775 heatsink inside (d'oh, i shouldn't have ordered one). And it has a bunch of ports: 8 in 1 card reader, 3 firewire, 7 USB ports, front headphone & microphone, etc. The motherboard is Intel made. Pretty awesome buy, IMO.

I'll have the "GW7200-BB" in a few days. :D

I placed my order on the 17th and the website says that it's "In queue for shipping"... There must have been an absolute ton of orders over the weekend...

Maximus825 said:
I placed my order on the 17th and the website says that it's "In queue for shipping"... There must have been an absolute ton of orders over the weekend...
My order's status also still says that it's in queue for shipping. I was hoping to get the stuff by this weekend, but it looks like by next weekend is a more realistic target.

Yes, I'm sure geeks.com got hammered, but they had to know it was coming since they should know that they'd get all the extra attention and advertisement by way of various "hot deals" sites. Shipping is typically more expensive than their products themselves, so by offering free shipping is like offering 50% off on some of the cheaper items (e.g. cables and accessories).

i placed an order on sat and sunday... both of them shipped today

coming from san diego

^ That's good to know that the stuff is now being shipped. I ordered on Sat. and my order is still in queue for shipment, but hopefully that status will change to shipped by tomorrow.

Edit: To the two of you (so far) that say your respective orders have shipped, did the status initially show up as "in queue" before it was changed to "shipped"?

it said in queue for shipment yesterday.

the order i placed sunday shipped hours before the one i placed on sat

mmv said:
it said in queue for shipment yesterday.

the order i placed sunday shipped hours before the one i placed on sat
That is encouraging news. Thanks for the quick reply. Hopefully the actual shipping won't take too long.

I ordered a lot of stupid stuff, the mini acquarium, the usb kit, 300ft cat5e, mini-"stapler", a keyboard, logitech football mouse, for about $70.

Did anyone check out the HP computer with XP Pro for about 269 dollars? I don't think its on the site anymore.

beowulf7 said:
^ That's good to know that the stuff is now being shipped. I ordered on Sat. and my order is still in queue for shipment, but hopefully that status will change to shipped by tomorrow.

Edit: To the two of you (so far) that say your respective orders have shipped, did the status initially show up as "in queue" before it was changed to "shipped"?

Yes. It went from processing, to denied, to reprocessing, to inqueue, to shipped.

chaostic said:
Yes. It went from processing, to denied, to reprocessing, to inqueue, to shipped.
I see; that's odd how it went through all those stages, but at least your order is now on the way.

As of noon (ET), it was still in queue, but I got home and checked my e-mail and got the confirmation from geeks.com that my order has shipped. :) But since it's coming from CA to NJ by ground, I know I won't receive it by the weekend.

still in transit :sigh:

beowulf7 said:
But since it's coming from CA to NJ by ground, I know I won't receive it by the weekend.

where in NJ?

beowulf7 said:
I see; that's odd how it went through all those stages, but at least your order is now on the way.

As of noon (ET), it was still in queue, but I got home and checked my e-mail and got the confirmation from geeks.com that my order has shipped. :) But since it's coming from CA to NJ by ground, I know I won't receive it by the weekend.

It got denied cause I only had 3.58 in my paypal account, so I had to borrow .30 cents, which paypal ate cause I have a business account and they charge 2.9% +.30 per receiving transaction, then i had to borrow another .42 cents to make up for that. Then tell geeks to reprocess the order. But yea. Jersey as well.

I got an email saying that due to the special my two 500va UPS's will ship sometime this week :(

I've been In Queue for a long time

FYI, my order, which was supposedly shipped yesterday, is due to arrive next week. I checked the FedEx tracking # and it provided an estimate of 9/27/05. The package is coming from CA to NJ.

I ordered a cheapo case and cheapo ATA/RAID card on Sunday. My order went from Processing -> In Queue -> Shipped -> Closed. Once it was shipped, there was a link to a FedEx status page (still on geeks.com com though) and my tracking number. I think Monday night was when it went into Shipped, and the FedEx link showed up. The geeks.com FedEx page showed that it was at the FedEx facility and on a truck. However, when using the same tracking number on FedEx.com, their status would say that the tracking number hadn't been entered yet. It's been like that til this morning, when the FedEx status finally chnaged and it says that's "scheduled for pickup from shipper".

So I don't know if it's some delay between FedEx and Geeks.com, but it's sorta misleading on Geeks.com part to say that the order has been shipped if it's actually going to be 3-4 days before it's actually in FedEx hands, especially when their ground shipping says 3-5 days shipping.

I'm not really complaining, the items were a great deal, and shipping was free. Just saying that they should be a little more clear on their status.

jrbryner said:
but it's sorta misleading on Geeks.com part to say that the order has been shipped if it's actually going to be 3-4 days before it's actually in FedEx hands,
Your rant is misguided. geeks probably did "hand" it off to FedEx the day or the next day (Tuesday) that geeks sent you a shipping notification and tracking number.

Your status is just a FedEx blunder. I've had that happen several times, just not at geeks (yet). :p

Call in and get the actual tracking status if you're stressing out. 1-800-go-fedex The web site tracking and actual tracking don't always match.

Yeah, I have to say that I'm not at all happy with the shipping provided by CompGeeks. I ordered something from acortech with free shipping AFTER I ordered from geeks -- it ARRIVED today, whereas my geeks order is finally departing.

Crappy. :eek: :mad:

workingnonstop said:
Yeah, I have to say that I'm not at all happy with the shipping provided by CompGeeks. I ordered something from acortech with free shipping AFTER I ordered from geeks -- it ARRIVED today, whereas my geeks order is finally departing.

Crappy. :eek: :mad:
Maybe the free shipping promo you got with acortech was 2-day shipping, kind of like how ZipZoomFly often offers? I know geeks.com's shipping promo was only for ground shipping, which can take a while.

I got my last 2 orders today. :D One was ordered Sunday and other on Thursday morning. Each order had a Gatway 7200 system. The systems are nice. One was in very good condition and other other was in "B" condition (deep scratches on the top front... needs sanding and repainting). The insides are mint condition on both. happy, happy, happy. ;)

I set up the 7200XL ("GW7200-BB") this morning. You'll need drivers for ethernet and sound in WinXP:
ftp://ftp.gateway.com/pub/hardware_support/drivers/win_xp/network/Marvell827.exe
ftp://ftp.gateway.com/pub/hardware_support/drivers/win_xp/motherboards/HDRealTek5136.exe
everything else was recognized automatically.

and if you want the BIOS update dated 9/9/05 (highly recommended, the CMOS setup screens in the default BIOS are buggy):
ftp://ftp.gateway.com/pub/hardware_support/bios/pentium/SE91510J/SSIIL2573.exe

The specs for the system are here: http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/7200Series/1008274/1008274nv.shtml

If you ordered the "GW7130-BB", the system is a 5200X: http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/5200Series/1008292/1008292nv.shtml

And if you happened to buy the $21 HP 400i DVD+R burner (400c, OEM Benq DW805A), look around and you'll find a hack to make it into a dual format 8x4x12 Benq DW822A, or dual layer DW830A if you're more adventurous. :D

While I was getting ready for work and was enjoying breakfast this morning, the doorbell rang. Sure enough, it was the FedEx guy delivering my geeks.com package. I'm going to open it up in a few minutes to make sure my order is complete and correct.

jrbryner said:
I ordered a cheapo case and cheapo ATA/RAID card on Sunday. My order went from Processing -> In Queue -> Shipped -> Closed. Once it was shipped, there was a link to a FedEx status page (still on geeks.com com though) and my tracking number. I think Monday night was when it went into Shipped, and the FedEx link showed up. The geeks.com FedEx page showed that it was at the FedEx facility and on a truck. However, when using the same tracking number on FedEx.com, their status would say that the tracking number hadn't been entered yet. It's been like that til this morning, when the FedEx status finally chnaged and it says that's "scheduled for pickup from shipper".

So I don't know if it's some delay between FedEx and Geeks.com, but it's sorta misleading on Geeks.com part to say that the order has been shipped if it's actually going to be 3-4 days before it's actually in FedEx hands, especially when their ground shipping says 3-5 days shipping.

I'm not really complaining, the items were a great deal, and shipping was free. Just saying that they should be a little more clear on their status.
All that said, FedEx did arrive on Saturday with the delivery. I guess that earned Geeks.com a few points. FedEx though, lost a few points. They left the package in my driveway, next to my garage, never rang the doorbell, knocked, left a note or anything. It coulda been out there all day and never would have known it. Good thing I saw them drive in and drive out.

One of the $15 cases I ordered arrived severly damaged. I have to see what they're willing to do about it I suppose...

beowulf7 said:
While I was getting ready for work and was enjoying breakfast this morning, the doorbell rang. Sure enough, it was the FedEx guy delivering my geeks.com package. I'm going to open it up in a few minutes to make sure my order is complete and correct.
All my stuff is present and accounted for. I'll install the cables and accessories this weekend.

Back