• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

GPU driven upconversion

godsfshrmn

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 15, 2005
Messages
200
I took advantage of today's woot so I can backup a bunch of old VHS tapes that are going to be worthless eventually. I was wanting to try and see what I could do with upping their resolution a bit to try and add some quality to them. Since I have a ton of VHS tapes, I'd like to use my GPU (9800GT, so I have CUDA) to do the work instead of the CPU since it would be much faster. What program do you guys use for this?
 
There is unfortunately no magical program that will make your old videos look better/add 'quality' out of thin air. CSI has lied to you, and many others. There are a lot of programs that claim to, but do not fall for such scams. You essentially have two choices:
Play around with some basic sharpen and blur filters in something like Virtualdub, and find what settings give a nice smoothing effect with an acceptable (for you) loss in detail. But keep the originals too.
or
Pay exorbitant amounts of money for frame-by-frame manual image reconstruction.
 
I looked into this a while ago but never found anything useful for cleaning up video/adding quality. In theory, it seems 100% possible to enhace the video with image interpolation, sharpening and noise filters since plenty of such filters exist for digital photography manipulation, but, like EdZ mentioned, it seems like the only way you're going to to be to do this, with any real quality bump, is to pay a professional to go frame by frame and reconstruct the video...
 
Back
Top