Google Maps & location info

#1RAGE

Limp Gawd
I just noticed something strange in Google Maps on my Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant (Android 2.1) phone. I had GPS off and opened Google Maps at my house and it showed that my current location was at my parents' house (within 100m). Now my parents' house is about 3.5 km away (as the crow flies) and I haven't been there recently. I turned GPS on and then it got within 30m of my house, then turned it off and it thought I was back at my parents' house. Then I turned off GPS and Wi-Fi and it knew approximately where I was using the cell towers. It showed an area that included my house and not my parents'.

So how is it possible that Google thinks I'm at my parents' house when I'm a few km away at my house? The router I have at my house is the same one I used a year ago when I lived at my parents' house. The Street View car shot my city in the spring of 2009 when I was living with my parents'. I know Google admitted to "accidentally" logging Wi-Fi from their Street View fleet. Is it likely that they are using that data (which is now outdated) to find my location?

This is really bothering me for someone but I'm sure someone must have the answer for me. :confused:

EDIT: Not sure which forum this should go under but after posting it I decided maybe it should go in Mobile Phones. I can't figure out how to delete post or move it to the other forum.

Last edited:
Maybe it dropped some sort of cookie that set that location as your "home"? Was the first time you used it at your parents house?

Maybe it dropped some sort of cookie that set that location as your "home"? Was the first time you used it at your parents house?

Actually I have never used my Galaxy S at my parents' house but I was at their doorstep for about a minute a week ago. My phone was in my pocket or in my car but I never connected to their Wi-Fi.

Back