Google fiber city announced: Kansas City, KS

Thats great... im lucky enough that im not jealous like many of you. Here on Long Island we're already (or at least we WERE) the fastest (that i know of) as far as high-speed internet available to the public. We can get 100Mbps from cablevision, its what im on now. Now thanks to Kansas City, we're still at the top of the list, just not #1.

Were we even #1 now that i think of it? Nassau county i THOUGHT was #1 or at least #2 or so...

I grew up in KCK and now live in a suburb a few miles out across county lines. That said I cant fathom the reason they picked this city for this. I can't imagine the demographic majority from this area matched the demographics on someone who would benefit or understand the impact of this.

**Edit. After doing some more reading it appears that it MAY include the "Metro Area" which means the demographic changes to make more sense

Last edited:
If memory serves, KCK was Sprint's test market for their failed fiber-ISDN project (FON) ten years or so ago. They did quite a lot of the civil work to fiber up the city before they decided it was a bad idea and killed it. Perhaps Google just found a city they could fiber-up by purchasing something already in the ground from Sprint rather than building new? Sure goes faster when all you need is money and not backhoe's.

I grew up in KCK and now live in a suburb a few miles out across county lines. That said I cant fathom the reason they picked this city for this. I can't imagine the demographic majority from this area matched the demographics on someone who would benefit or understand the impact of this.

**Edit. After doing some more reading it appears that it MAY include the "Metro Area" which means the demographic changes to make more sense

Affirmative action gigabit internet. Wyandotte county is like 40% black. They kept going on about "community organizations" and stuff on the press release and they are giving it free to those poor under-privileged blacks school kids. That's the general impression I got.

I'm sure KCK will be teaming with computer scientists in 10 years instead of crack dealers :rolleyes:

o_O <-- people's faces when they realize the effects of "long fat networks" and start QQing about not getting "gigabit" download speeds on their POS home routers

Their engineers are going to have fun wiring that place up. Hope KS has reciprocity with WA CCH.

demographic.png

I would love if my city got FIOS, but I'll probably be stuck with 512k upload and 5mb download for a LONG time. I work for the ISP and all efforts have been concentrated in other cities. The company that runs us basically does not even know our town exists.

Last edited:
Their engineers are going to have fun wiring that place up. Hope KS has reciprocity with WA CCH.

demographic.png

how the fuck does the national avg stay the same for ALL those risks? i call bs on image

They set the national averages to 100 so they can use the same chart scale for different crimes i.e. national average = 100%, KCK = 400%.

Affirmative action gigabit internet. Wyandotte county is like 40% black. They kept going on about "community organizations" and stuff on the press release and they are giving it free to those poor under-privileged blacks school kids. That's the general impression I got.

I'm sure KCK will be teaming with computer scientists in 10 years instead of crack dealers :rolleyes:

Maybe not computer scientists, but in a few years you might have more web sites with "interesting" products for sale. Can you say "Killer App"?

Back