Good PC magazines?

Hadoken

Limp Gawd
Sorry, couldn't find an appropriate place to post this.

I'm in need of some bathroom reading material besides my gaming magazines, so I'm looking for a PC related magazine with news and reviews. I want something in depth, but not too much hardcore. I'm not into case modding or anything like that, I'm more interested in new technologies with in depth previews and reviews.

I think you might like MaximumPC and CPU Magazine.

You get get a subscription to MaximumPC for cheap from one of those discount subscription sites, around $12 a year, but you don't get the cd that comes with it, not like it matters. The mag talks about the new things in the computer world, and is catered more to the enthusiast. Some good stuff.

CPU, or Computer Power User, is more text filled, or at least it seems that way. It's also pretty much an enthusiast magazine, and features editorials from people like Kyle and Anand, and previews of new things in the computing world. They also usually do a very in depth look at some new piece of tech.

edit: Hell, you can now get MaxPC for even cheaper...

http://shoppervalues.com/detail.cfm?id=40576&mvaffid=2137

Defintely Maximum PC.

The others like PC Magazine, PC World, etc are all pretty much worthless.

Are these magazines sites reliable? I definitely DO NOT want that disc that costs so much extra, I'm just a little leary of ordering through a 2nd party.
Anyone ever order anything from ShopperValues?

I got maxpc through that 2nd party everything is fine. Correct me if I'm wrong but you can get CPU from their website for the same price as going through that 2nd party...

Yeah, I just subscribed to CPU and the price on the website was the same as any other middleman, so no savings there.

I didn't know MaxPC go so low. 3 years for 9 bucks? I wonder if it's too late to cancel my re-subscription order....

Yeah, CPU mag I just go through the regular site to subscribe.

And MaxPC - didn't have problems with middle man services. And I think I'll get 3 new years. Thank you slickdeals.

sweet..i just subscribed for a year of maxumum pc for 3 bucks :eek: , ugh i have to wait 8 weeks for my first issue though :mad:

Yes, I don't think anyone has anything bad to say about MaxPC. They are very good except they need a monthly Linux section vs an annual write up :(

carloswill said:
Yes, I don't think anyone has anything bad to say about MaxPC. They are very good except they need a monthly Linux section vs an annual write up :(

Just get Linux Journal, much better than some 2 page spread in CPU magazine.

BillLeeLee said:
Just get Linux Journal, much better than some 2 page spread in CPU magazine.

I do get Linux journal and for some reason that magazine does not read well to anyone other than elite Linux users. I find all their articles too complex and stories far too detailed than I can follow. Sometimes I have the slightest clue what they are talking about.

They do a really good job of not reviewing any distros and or doing anything distro specific but then I have not seen my new issue with the ultimate linux machine on the cover.

Maximum PC and CPU are the two that I have had for years and years.

The day I get them, I read them cover to cover and then I go through and scan into PDF's the articles that I want to keep, then I toss the mags.

carloswill said:
I do get Linux journal and for some reason that magazine does not read well to anyone other than elite Linux users. I find all their articles too complex and stories far too detailed than I can follow. Sometimes I have the slightest clue what they are talking about.

They do a really good job of not reviewing any distros and or doing anything distro specific but then I have not seen my new issue with the ultimate linux machine on the cover.

Hmm, yes, the articles do tend to be aimed at much more advanced users, I only understand like half of them too.

I have not taken much of a look at it, but you should scope out Linux Magazine. It seems much more well rounded and accessible to a wider range of users.

And I'm a huge pack rat, I can't even bring myself to throw out magazines, even though I don't read them after the month is up. I have a backlog of 10 years worth of gaming magazines.

CPU and MaxPC sound pretty cool, right now I'm subscibed to PC World, it's good sometimes and other times it's useless.

Back