• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Good low voltage mobile processors

Stuh505

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 15, 2004
Messages
488
My current laptop which I purchased about 5 years ago runs on a Core Solo U1500 processor (Max TDP 5.5W). This is archaic 65NM tech and I'm thinking about upgrading to 32nm tech largely in hopes of getting better performance for about the same power consumption (given that battery tech has remained stagnant, and I don't want to sacrifice battery life or add weight with additional cells).

I used to use Intel Processor finder to find processors that meet my needs, but the new website seems to be hiding everything but the power hungry monsters they are trying to sell.

I need to weigh the pros and cons of the individual processors, but its possible I might be talked into getting something with larger power draw...so please recommend me some top performers in the ~2, ~5, ~10, and ~15 W TDP ranges.
 
I believe current generation mobile intel processors have a minimum TDP of 17 watt, but this includes GPU and mem controller, whereas the U1500 TDP is only for the CPU.

I can't recommend any special CPU, but ark.intel.com has a somewhat useable way of locating a low TDP cpu. Visit ark.intel.com, select mobile products, mobile cpu and look at the list for current gen mobile i7/5/3, it gives you a list of all models and their TDP.

As an alternative, you can browse different ultrabooks models and find a proper laptop with the same CPU types.
 
Back
Top