Good (free) Sync Software?

Superjoe

[H]ard|Gawd
I've Goodsync and microsoft SyncToys in the past. GoodSync is outstanding, but I don't want to pony up the $30 if there is a good free alternative. SyncToys isn't terrible but it doesn't really do any automatic or scheduled syncing and I've had it screw me pretty bad in the past.

Looking for something to put on my home server and sync back and forth between it and two PC's.

Thanks!

Actually that's a pretty good idea, I hadn't thought of that. I'm just hesitant because years ago I lost a ton of data because of a design flaw in SyncToys. Not sure if they fixed it, and it's been so long I can't really remember what happened but it sure sucked when it deleted all data on both sides. Maybe I'll give it a shot, because I've never been able to find a good cheap alternative to GoodSync. Maybe I'll just pony up the dough

Thanks

Did some more searching, going to try this for now:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/file-sync-backup,review-1060-4.html

Allway Sync

Looks to be as powerful as GoodSync, or at least close enough for me. And if I do like it it's $20 instead of $30 for GoodSync. But their free trial appears to be indefinite as long as you don't exceed 20,000 file transfers in a month. I think I am within that. Goodsync only works for 30 days

Microsoft Mesh anyone? I use to it to sync directories on my desktop and laptop all the time, so when I'm on the go I just pick up where I left off.

Comes in the Windows Live essentials package, you don't have to install the other jazz just Mesh, all free and works damn good, you can also use it to remote connect in addition to Sync files and folders.

EDIT: I should add I used it before it was rebranded and upgraded to Windows Live Mesh, it use to be called Windows Live Sync which they killed after March 31, 2011, and upgraded to Mesh. Hasn't failed me since

That's cool too, but wouldn't accommodate my storage needs. I'm in the terabytes of info, so I need something that runs off of my server and manages it locally.

Thanks though

I used to run allway sync, had a lot of bugs that never got fixed, clicking on items would give 'script errors' ocassionally and the max. size in their report section is 4GBs apparently, because I could copy 100GBs and it would always be 1 - 4GBs and it was slow. Now I use robocopy, it's free and included with win 7, and doesn't have any of the problems I found in allway sync, so you might want to give it a try too.

Take a look at FreeFileSync - loads of features, very fast and completely reliable in my experience, which is more than can be said of MS SyncToy for example.

You can create batch jobs to be run by the Windows task scheduler, and it also includes the RealtimeSync component which (unsurprisingly) syncs files in real time, which may be useful to you.

Back