Good Free Proxy?

batteriesnotincluded

[H]ard|Gawd
we have a client that is having trouble getting to a certain website.

Everyone else can get to it, and she can get to everything else, but there's been no luck with her.

the service provider is blaming the host. The host is blaming the service provider. Tracert is stopping outside of the hose and the service provider on some router in the middle, and I'm tired of fighting it.

Is there some sort of proxy we could use to see if we can get her to the website she needs to go to for work, for free?

I'd troubleshoot her machine more....really just takes but a few minutes.
Are there other workstations on the same network as her, that can hit this site?
If she pings by site name...what comes back?
If she pings the site by IP address..what comes back?
Is this computer part of active directory, or stand alone or peer to peer? If so, what happens if you manually give her OpenDNS servers in her TCP properties?
Run a TCP/Winsock repair utility
Check for malware with malwarebytes. Double check her IE connection settings to make sure she hasn't previously been hijacked my malware (check proxy settings)

She is working from home.

If she pings the site name, she gets the correct IP address, but it comes back destination unreachable.

I have run the winsock repair. Standalone, as she's working in another state.

I did a malware check before I got to the point of calling the ISPs.

It depends on where the tracert is failing depends on who's fault it is.

It can technically be neither of their faults.

If the tracert gets out side for the ISP then it's not the ISP's fault.
If the tracert fails inside the hosts datacenter/ISP then it's the hosts fault.
If it fails in between then it's neither of their fault but a faulty router/route somewhere in between.

The host and the ISP's networks may not touch and they have to go through several other businesses networks get there.

Best thing to do is see where the tracert fails at and then find out who owns that IP and contact them.

Bumping this as the issue is back (it resolved itself)

The issue is in the middle, a company called BandCon. Bunch of worthless fuckers, they told us that since we weren't their customers, they weren't willing to help us. ("Since you are not a customer of ours, we're unable to help you.")

When doing the tracert, it stops after them, and when it was working again, there were 2 hops after BandCon before it hit their hosting service.

So, again, I need to find a way to route them around this particular company. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

So, again, I need to find a way to route them around this particular company. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You can't, the only way would be to use a different provider that doesn't peer with them.

I suppose the other option would be to have this user VPN or otherwise connect to a system that uses a provider that doesn't peer with them either....

Back