Good for Gaming?

seanarends

n00b
Alright guys. So after weeks of searching I think I found something that is within my price range and is, from what I read, going to be able to handle any game I want well. This is an ALT-17 from Main Gear. But before I drop $1,700, I want all of your opinions if what I have customized it with is what I actually need. Mainly I am buying this comp to play The Old Republic, and be bad ass at it! The other things i would use it for are anything that comes up on Microsoft Student and Home, for home, school, and work. Anyway if I have missed anything you guys need for info let me know. And thank you all in advance for your help, I appreciate it!

MAINGEAR ALT-17 (laptop-alt17-disc)
$1,230.75 $1,230.75
Customizations:

Primary Display: 17.3" FullHD 16:9 LED Display (1080p)
Included

Chassis: ALT-17 Multimedia Laptop Chassis
Included

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 2720QM 2.2GHz/3.3GHz Turbo 6MB L3 Cache GT2
$244.00

Memory: 8GB Patriot DDR3-1333 SO-DIMM (Dual Channel)
$55.00

Graphics and GPGPU Accelerator: NVIDIA® GeForce™ GT 555M 2GB with Optimus Technology
Included

Hard Drive Bay One: 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 2.5"
Included

Optical Drive One: 8X DVD Dual Layer Burner
Included

Memory Card Reader: 3-in-1 Integrated Memory Card Reader SD - MS/Pro - MMC
Included

Network Adapter: On-board Gigabit Ethernet
Included

Wireless Network Adapter: Integrated 802.11b/g/n Wireless - up to 300Mbps!
Included

Audio: Integrated High Definition Audio
Included

Bluetooth: Integrated Bluetooth Technology Module
Included

Web Cam: Integrated 2.0MP Webcam
Included

Primary Battery: Smart Li-ION Battery Pack (6 cells)
Included

Productivity Software: Microsoft Office 2010 Home & Student
$129.00

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Included

Accessories: FREE Notebook Carrying Case

Angelic Service Warranty: Lifetime Angelic Service Labor and Phone Support with 1 Year Hardware Warranty
Included

Product Subtotal: $1,658.75

I have an Dell XPS L702X 17 that has pretty much identical specs. With the GPU overclocked it does about P1800 in 3D Mark 11. It'll play most games no problem but won't do demanding titles at 1080p with the eye candy turned up. 1600x900 it does very well with.

The 2720QM probably isn't worth that price premium and are you sure it doesn't come with office starter for free which will cover the vast majority of school needs?

The Dell outlet is 20% off right now also. Just a thought.

I think you can do better for 1700.

Alright man I appreciate it, I will check out dell too, and what does overclocked mean? I keep hearing ppl talking about it but im not tracking on its meaning

Did you compare it to ASUS and Sager units? Maybe check out XoticPC, PCTorque, and Gentech and see if they can beat the same comparable unit. Its been a while since I took some college classes but if I'm not mistaken you can get the MS Student & Home at the college book stores usually. You would need to show your college ID as proof as a student but you don't have to buy it with your PC. You can get it separately and install it yourself. I'd be curious if it is same price as what Main Gear offers.

Alright man I appreciate it, I will check out dell too, and what does overclocked mean? I keep hearing ppl talking about it but im not tracking on its meaning

Overclocking is running the CPU and/or GPU past the stock frequencies of the core. It allows for more processing power -> better graphics, gaming, etc.

It also should be noted that overclocking is not for the amateur since it can cause serious damage and void your warranty..

It also should be noted that overclocking is not for the amateur since it can cause serious damage and void your warranty..

Damn near impossible to damage modern components with only software based tools. Things will shut down long before they cook.

Back