Good board under £100?

nbirnie

n00b
Hi, newbie here.

I am looking for a new Motherboard to go with an e6850. Really the only important thing to me is reliability and support for 1333MHz FSB CPUs, but having read some threads and browsing shops, it seems like it could be a bit of a minefield?! Alot of the boards are advertised as being overclocked to 1333, which I'm not too keen on.

So what would you suggest, on a modest budget?

Overclocking.... not important.
Onboard graphics.... i'd preffer.
SLI... not important.
Manufacturer... well I've always liked Asus.
Price.... £100 maximum, but if there is something that you could reccomend for less that would be great, im a student.

Check out the ASRock ConRoe 1333 (In case you don't know ASRock is a subsidiary of a Asus, sorry if i'm stating the obvious)

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=628508

Note I'm not recommending this board merely mentioning it, as I think it meets all your criteria.

Personally I think you'd be better served grabbing an abit IP35-E and video card at about £30-40 e.g. 7300GS/GT, 7600GS, 8400GS, just whatever suits your pocket from any of these, as you're obviously not a gamer and the performance merits of each (or any) of these isn't worth debating.

Both of these boards are great for OC'ing (and you really should OC a Core2), and probably all the other features you need in a mobo:

£54 - Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R LGA 775 Intel G33 Micro ATX

£63 - Asus P5K-VM LGA 775 Intel G33 Micro ATX

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Definately like the look of the Gigabyte board mentioned with the G33e chipset. Quick question, is there any benefit to taking that board over another one with say the P35 chipset, which seems to be more of a hot-topic just now?

Definately like the look of the Gigabyte board mentioned with the G33e chipset. Quick question, is there any benefit to taking that board over another one with say the P35 chipset, which seems to be more of a hot-topic just now?

If you want P35, you won't get on-board graphics.

Back