Goal = Repair STOP 0x7B w/o rebuild

Ok, here's the scoop.

Original system = Soyo K7V Dragon+ Motherboard w/ XP1900+ CPU
New system = Asus NF7S ( or is it the abit? bah, doesn't matter. Nforce chipset) w/ Barton 2500+

All drives remain the same, as does the video card.

Obviously the original installation now boots to a STOP 0x7B, failing to read the hard drive successfully ( because windows is lame like that and won't default to a basic ide driver)

I have tried running an in-place upgrade on the installation and this did not work.
I now have a parallel on another partition that boots fine.

I want to find a way to get the original installation booting. I'm 99.9% sure it's possible, but I need some ideas.

Things tried already :
Services key transplant (From working install to failed install) <-- Still STOP 0x7B

Transplanting the entire CurrentControlSet key from working install to original installation (Going through and changing any paths to reflect what it would be in the original)

This gets me to a desktop, for about 2.6 seconds but this error is displayed :
System error lsass.exe:
When trying to update a password the return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct.

Then the system restarts.

I think I tried just transplanting the services key and the enum key, but that I don't remember 1. If I actually did it and 2. What the results were.

Any ideas other than rebuilding the entire system?

Yah, thought of that before-hand too, but figured the in-place would work... WRONG...

I can probably still do a sysprep, as the old mobo and cpu went into my HTPC. All I've got to do is pull the master drive and drop it into the HTPC, sysprep it, and put it back in the main box.

Won't be able to test it until later tonight because I'm sitting here waiting on a 240k file xcopy to finish so I can finish this network setup at work. heh

AHAHAHAHAHAHA SCORE!!!!!

I fixed it!!! Sysprep DID NOT WORK.

This only works in advance, or if you can still plug your hard-drive into your original motherboard configuration and boot into Windows.

For my case, Windows was using the VIA IDE Driver... Not gunna fly on Nforce board obviously.

All I did, was update the driver and force it to select Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller.

Shut the system down and plugged the drive into the nforce board, booted up and BAM, back to my original installation and all I have to do is install drivers!!!!

I RULE!!!!

That is all.

Back