Go with new upgrade or wait?

DayZ is very cpu limited near cities. I have a 7950 and the gpu drops to 40% in some parts. However dayz is a mod, and the DayZ Standalone should improve performance quite a bit. The standalone is now entering closed beta and should have a public release this quarter. So it might be worth waiting a little longer to check the performance on release.
 
Last edited:
I am also very happy with the GTX 680. Paid way too much for it since I got it on launch day.:rolleyes: The great thing about a desktop PC is that I can decide which bits to upgrade and then evaluate performance to see if another upgrade is needed. For me the 680 was very much worth it and delayed the Ivy Bridge update. Will see what Haswell bring to the table but I will most probably be upgrading then. Just not on launch day though...

I wish I had gone for a 680, but it was out of my price range at launch. Now, if you're patient, you can get a 680 for the $400 I paid for my 670. I could use the extra processing horsepower, but can't currently float the money to buy a 680 and then sell my 670. Maybe in a few months!
 
I'm also thinking about replacing my gaming notebook (pretty old, two years or so) with gaming rig. Almost decided to wait for haswell, but is there any ETA (judging by previous release and supply dates) when haswell mobos/cpus hits shops? Around middle of summer? What i can purchase right now except case and monitor, maybe RAM and PSU? Also, what about price range (again, looking at sandy/ivy releases), will they be way more than ivy?
Sorry, but i haven't watched at this market for a really long time. Do have some info about server stuff, but not related prices :)
 
Going from 4-8GB of DDR2 runs between 30 (used) to 45 (new). Not too bad for a drop in upgrade, assuming you have 4 slots, although it is still 2x $/gb of DDR3.
 
I'm also thinking about replacing my gaming notebook (pretty old, two years or so) with gaming rig. Almost decided to wait for haswell, but is there any ETA (judging by previous release and supply dates) when haswell mobos/cpus hits shops? Around middle of summer? What i can purchase right now except case and monitor, maybe RAM and PSU? Also, what about price range (again, looking at sandy/ivy releases), will they be way more than ivy?
Sorry, but i haven't watched at this market for a really long time. Do have some info about server stuff, but not related prices :)

Honestly, were I you, I'd wait until haswell came out and buy a bunch of used stuff off the FS/FT forums. Just get the best processor you can so it will last you a long time. I'm shocked at how long my processor has kept up with demanding games (and I got it on sale for $205.00, which is the best price I ever saw on it.)

Find the case you want and go ahead and have that waiting if you have the $$ (I recommend the FT-02)
 
I'll see how the money goes at job number 2 and then see if someone in the FS/FT forum wants to unload 2x4gb sticks of ddr2 for $30. If you know of anyone, send em my way please.
 
So what exactly are you guys doing that requires more than 4 GB? I have a similar system to OP at home and a Core i5 w/ 8 GB system at work. Apart from running virtual machines, there is no perceivable difference between the two in anything but tasks where the newer CPU does better (video encoding etc).

For gaming, 4 GB is still perfectly fine.
 
So what exactly are you guys doing that requires more than 4 GB? I have a similar system to OP at home and a Core i5 w/ 8 GB system at work. Apart from running virtual machines, there is no perceivable difference between the two in anything but tasks where the newer CPU does better (video encoding etc).

For gaming, 4 GB is still perfectly fine.

Being [H]ard
 
Being [H]ard

I have 16gb in my main machine, and 2 other machines, because it is super cheap. My other machine and the kids have 8gb.
The way I see, If I get another system or some ram goes bad, I have plenty to go around.

And its cheap! :D
 
Also, I don't do much 3-d work anymore, but rendering scenes with Maya or Renderman can chew up some system resources on the qiock.
 
Back
Top